Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My i30 just stalled at a red light. It did restart, but was idling extremely weakly and poorly. The gas pedal did not effect the idle at all. I stopped the engine and restarted it this way a few times, only to have the same very weak idle. At this point the car will no longer catch at all.

I figure that the problem is either the spark or the fuel delivery, given that the starter cranks without a problem. Here are some related facts that may be of note:
  • I changed the spark plugs only last year
  • I changed the camshaft position sensor a little over a year ago (after not starting at times, and engine code)
  • The car has been taking one or two more cranks to start lately, but it does feel out of the blue
  • no code has been tripped
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! The car is currently parked on the side of the road.

EDIT:
I don't know if it is worth mentioning that my fuel was low, but above 0 when the car stalled (I've had it much lower). I have added fuel, though, with no effect.

·
Registered
2000 model Hyundai Lantra GLS 2.0 (G4GF) factory 5 speed manual. Fully optioned. Most things work...
62 Posts
Check your spark plug gaps. There was a known fault with the older Hyundai Getz that related to weak ignition coils. Decreasing the plug gaps remedied the issue as the engine would experience difficult starting and misfires/poor drivability as the spark plugs neared their serviceable lifespan. Service manual states 1.0mm-1.1mm plug gap (?) reduce it to 0.85mm-0.9mm. Also check the fuel pump. I know this is difficult to do in the US, but avoid ethanol added fuels. Due to it's ability to carry water it increases the chance of your fuel pump and fuel sender gauge failing from corrosion. It also attacks the plastic the pump and sender housing is made from. Then there's the usual service stuff - fuel filter, air filter, ignition leads...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @geezer101 . I did find it to be the fuel pump in the end: when I put the key to the ON position, without trying to crank, I didn't hear the faint groan of the fuel pump. I swapped out the fuse to make sure that wasn't the issue; still no groan. So I replaced the pump, on the side of the road, which was surprisingly simple and fast!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts