Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

dim headlights

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mad-Machine 
#1 ·
my headlights seem to be really dim lately. i thought it could have been the ebay lights i had being cheap, so i bought some sylvania silverstar lights last night, but they're still dim. what else could cause this? weak voltage throughout the car/alternator starting to go? i can't pinpoint when they went dim and if i did any mods prior to it possibly causing it.

#3 ·
you mean the actual socket? how would you check in that for corrosion? i'm running sylvania headlights now, so i would think they fit snuggly.

#4 ·
You would have to pull the lamps out of the sockets and look. I think Radioshack carries contact cleaner. While I am sure your new lamps fit snug.. if the old ones created corrosion, you are still not going to get a good contact.

Another question for you.. the cheap ebay lamps.. were they a higher wattage than stock?

#6 ·
Are other lights in the car dim too? Could be a bad alternator, most auto parts stores will test it for free if you bring it in.
Could also be the fact that your cheap ebay lights were a higher wattage that either melted/distorted the housing or even the harness.

Got a voltmeter? If so, check how many volts you're getting at the harness itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.