Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out how to disable the daytime running lights on my x3. On Canadian cars (and maybe some American models), when the parking brake is off, the daytime running lights come on. On my car, the DRLs include all the exterior lights (including the fogs if the switch is on), but the headlights themselves come on as the highbeams at half power.
Webtech doesn't appear to have any information on the DRLs, probably because it's an American-based site, and DRLs weren't required in the U.S. when my car was built.
Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the DRLs?

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
I would be careful with that Chris. You could get a ticket. By law all cars have to have DRL's if the car was equipped with them.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, I've heard this too, about the tickets. But, how would a cop know every car that is supposed to have them?

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Starting a few years back, all new cars in Canada needed to have DRL. We also need to have the clutch pressed to start our cars too.

My DRL have a mind of their own and go on and off as they please. I'll like to figure out where the switch is also.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know there is a switch on the e-brake handle, but I think that also controls the brake warning light that doubles as the "don't-drive-away-with-the-ebrake-on-you-moron" light on the dash. I'm thinking there has to be a wire somewhere that controls the electricity for the DRLs, so that's what I'm trying to find.

As for the legal issues about this, I turn my actual headlights on almost all the time when I'm driving anyways, so I'm not worried about that. ;):

[Edited by stickshift on Jun 2, 2003 5:01 AM]

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Try check for a fuse in the fuse compartment, that may dissable the system. But it may throw a "Service Vehicle Soon" light. I know GM cars do that, which is kind of stupid since there is a "Service Engine Soon" light that can cumbuzzle people. Also ususally where the windsheild defogger vent is there is a sensor in there that detects for UV light, try seeing if there is a way you could cut the wire. But becareful on cutting the wire, this may make the lights stay on all the time just for saftey measures. I say try the fuse trick first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to find out how to disable the daytime running lights on my x3. On Canadian cars (and maybe some American models), when the parking brake is off, the daytime running lights come on. On my car, the DRLs include all the exterior lights (including the fogs if the switch is on), but the headlights themselves come on as the highbeams at half power.
Webtech doesn't appear to have any information on the DRLs, probably because it's an American-based site, and DRLs weren't required in the U.S. when my car was built.
Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the DRLs?
OK guys I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata which I have change the headlights over on to a single projector style headlight with an integrated LED sequential turn signal they’re very nice but as everyone knows LEDs do not do good in projector lenses so I ran HIDs well after one day of driving the car in the daytime with the DRL on it burnt both of the ballast up for the HIDs so I got to doing some checking and I figured that the DRL‘s daytime running lights were the corporate because I figured that it had run low voltage to the Balis but looking up the acceptable voltage range on the ballast was between 9 V to 16 V And when testing found that it was getting 13 1/2 V which is acceptable even in daytime running light mode so after further investigation come to find out that the body control module it’s not fluctuating the power voltage but fluctuating the ground voltage it’s cutting the ground back by half which explains why it burnt the HID Bails/modules up there is no way on this particular vehicle turn turn off no fused to Pull no relays to pull unless you have all the appropriate equipment and firmware to reprogram the BCM/body control module to turn off the DRL‘s So to fix this problem I cannot turn off the daytime running lights but I can solve the issue of it burning up my HID Bails/module up by cutting the ground wire off of the pigtail that plugs into the headlight and grounding it to a constant good ground source now there is no fluctuation in the negative ground current so now if you are running a regular bub it would not run at half lit but full brightness I know this doesn’t help the guys that want to turn the DRL ‘s completely off sorry guys with that being said this does not seem to bother LEDs but definitely HID Balis/modules do not like having their ground current messed with this is explains why both modules burned up at the same time this is the procedure on how I fixed my issue with running HIDs on my 2013 Hyundai sonata in the highbeam I hope this was useful for you guys it took quite a bit of brain power for me to figure this one out! Who would’ve thought that instead of just controlling the power of voltage the BCM body control module fluctuated the ground voltage lol freaking Hyundai !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts