Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got drums up back.. I noticed the GT's have disc in the back. Wondering if I need to change the spindles ( and / or the hubs as well). I posted a similar question in the susp. forum, but got no reply... I looked up the parts on the hyundai site, its appears that the hubs are identical..Don't know about the spindles. Any feedback would be appreciated............

·
Registered
55 Posts
If any body responds to this dude let me know I'm wondering the same thing I will be going to the dealer soon for parts and I might be able to get parts to print out what it will need but let me know if you here anything before that. Thanx

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Everything you need to know:

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6040

Later

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanx big guy.
It's not worth it unless you find a car at a junkyard or you know someone at a body shop.8D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In regards to the conversion, I priced out every conceivable part I would have to change, if it applies. Spindles, hubs, rotors, caliper mounting brackets, calipers, pads, and parking brake cables. ( The parking brake is built into the caliper) Talk about sticker shock. The whole setup ran over $1000.00. What I could do with $1 grand besides brakes??!?!?? The Junk yard is a way better option...
Anyway I ordered a Mussa rear strut bar from Motor Impact LLC. They were selling a $129.00 strut bar on ebay for $69.00 !!! Even with shipping, about $15, I still made out...
Also, I ordered a 20mm rear sway bar kit from Performance Styling Centre in Australia. I'll publish the cost on that when I get it. I'am going to document and photograph the install on both items when the parts arrive. ( Hopefully the weather might hold up a bit)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my "Mussa Racing" rear strut bar today. Nice piece, unfortunately no paperwork on install....PST said they are making my sway bar "in-house and shipping it today air freight. Here are the order details: #PSC-SWA-XD1(04 elantra(, rear sway bar). Usually referred to as a XD2) - $133.50 US with shipping came out to $228.00 total. Kinda steep ,but its a new piece with hard bushings and brackets. This is a 20mm dia. bar versus the stock 03 tibby piece, which is 19.2mm. THe stock elantra rears are about 15mm, we'll see how it handles. First, the weather gotta clear up a bit.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've installed my rear strut bar, a little bit of a project. Now I have a better appreciation for the GT owners...( the hatchback). It took about an hour tops. I'll try to publish the pics. Which is an ardous task. I which I could directly upload them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got some 17 inch wheels for free 5 rims really nice they just need new tires and a respray I'll be posting pix soon too waiting on my digital camera I orderd.:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
i know it's abit late but watch out for the control arm bushings if you still plan on doing the disc conversion; it's very simeple i have had **** luck with any bolts screws that came from the factory of hyundai 1/2 of them break the othere half are all seized. and the bushings are one dont get stuck half way like me.

and lastly i spent just around 1200$ canadian on my conversion but that includes around 500in labour (ass-fu#c) plus i also converted my captive from to non-captive so all it all it was worth it with pads/rotors/spindles/calipers/SS-brake lines.

my ex just spent 600 at the ford dealership to have her brakes done at the dealership, and i still woulnd't compare her brakes to mine.

the brakes dont fade for real i can prove it (i'm a bitch in the summer mounts on my car) and they stop on a dime. saved 3 lives so far (not my fault) amazing they were all women!

·
Registered
55 Posts
you can keep that I'm not gonna convert mine to disk i'll just get better shoes in back and put crossdrilled rotors and vgx pads up front. It ain't worth 1200$ i'm not makin a race car out of this car. however my next car if i ever get one is anouther story.:smoking:

[Edited by greatwhiteshark on Dec 18, 2005 11:43 AM]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts