Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This will work with any of the old-school HKS Turbo Timers featured on the pic.

What you need:
1.) Tools for removing panels for your car (if needed)

2.) at least 2 Different colored wires with 1m lengths each (depends on application)

3.) wire stripper

4.) Electrical Tape or Shrink Tube

5.) Voltmeter

The Turbo Timer came with 5 wires:

Red - for (+) positive constant battery supply
Black - for (-) ground
Blue - Ign1 wire
Green - Ign2 wire
Grey - Handbrake wire

Now choose a spot where to place your timer. I found a perfect spot under my radio. What I did was I stuck the timer with double sided tape and I drilled a hole in that compartment for my wires.

(BE CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT-CIRCUIT THE WIRES. AS A SAFETY PRECAUTION, WORK WITH ONE WIRE TAPPING AT A TIME. BE SURE TO SEAL YOUR PREVOUSLY TAPPED WIRE WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE OR SHRINK TUBE)

I tapped the Red wire of the timer to the radio's constant (+) positive battery supply. (Make sure that this wire is tapped in a wire where there is a constant 12V supply even when the key is not inserted into your key hole. Test it by connecting your Voltmeter's + Wire to the wire to be tapped and the Voltmeter's - wire to your shifter linkage, chassis, body or any source for ground)

For the Black wire, I tapped in onto the ground wire of the radio.

Now for the Blue wire, I connected it to the radio's (+) 'ACC' wire. This wire should give an output of 12V ONLY when the key is in the 'ACC' and in the 'IGN' position (Test this by connecting Voltmeter's + wire to the wire being tested and - wire to the Black wire you previously tapped).

Now for the most difficult part: Simply tapping the Green wire on a lead that gives (+) 12V in the 'IGN' doesn't always leave the engine running. For most of the wires I tapped into (including the 'IGN' wire in the key-hole on the steering column), the timer just leaves the Air-con on :p

What you should do (or more like what I did anyway) is to find the wire on the ECU that sends a (+) 12V signal when the key is in 'IGN' position. For people with piggyback computers, you'll have an easier time because you can simply tap this Green wire on you piggyback's 'Power On' wire. (Red wire for SMT-6 owners)

Just disregard the grey wire, as this is just for the handbrake.

Hope this helps!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts