1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What you'll need:
.T40 6 point star pattern socket/ large enough allen wrench
. 3/4 socket
. socket wrench
.wire clippers
.electricians tape

Step 1: Set the car so the steering wheel is as straight as you can make it. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

Located on each side there are 2 holes that contain small star pattern bolts.
Use the star pattern socket to release the air bag. Once lose disconnect the 2 wires from the airbag.

Step 2: Once the airbag is disconnected clip the (male) wire that controls the horn (see picture 2). If you got a GK steering wheel with Cruise control (I think they all have them) clip the wire it contains for its horn (male). Rewire the two so you have two male sides. You'll want to connect them so you can have a working horn. I have yet to figure out how to keep the airbag functional.

Step 3: Use the 3/4 socket to remove the bolt securing the steering wheel to the hub. Give the wheel a few bangs and wiggle it a bit to get it lose. Don't worry about breaking anything just RIP that plastic foamy junk off. Once off replace with GK wheel and reassemble everything back int place. Remember you'll want to connect the rewired connectors so you can have a working horn.

I have yet to figure out how to keep the airbag functional, but that may cause problems and I dont think we want our airbags deploying on use while we are cruising around town...not fun. So just tuck those into the wheel and enjoy having your new GK wheel in your Accent!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends...dealer wants $200 for the wheel and $600 for the airbag...try ebay..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and medic..yeah it goes on because there is no air bag.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the sticky guys :mad:. Is Vamp even on these boards anymore?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this going to be stickied or should I just forget about it?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
you should forget about it. no one gives a **** about anyone with bright ideas on this site anymore.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awww...that makes me a sad panda...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old topic :

I did the swap and I was wondering too if the airbag of the Tiburon wheel was compatible with the Accent SRS system. My guess was yes, since they share the same plug.

I asked at my local dealer, and I was told that SRS are pretty standard, and that the swap would cause no problem.

Hope that helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts