Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
hmmm this mod still does not make any sense to me so the wide open space of the can is going to catch the vaporized oil? Shouldn't the vapor pass right through straight into the intake? I would imagine if the can is cold that it would condinsate on its sides. Where in the world do i get the hosing for it any ways? Did any read the warnings on the canister about syn. oils eating the plastic? should i attach it to a strut tower? I do not know how in the hell i can connect the pcv and intake ports with that thing in the middle! After all it does say that it should be in an enviroment no hotter than 120F or 50C.

btw i have a 2000 tibi

kinda depressed i bought the parts for it. I could have made one out of coke can and some duct tape about the same thing except the coke can can take more heat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So wait AUTOBOT is saying leave the PVC alone, but now are you saying to use the PVC? Cuz ive had my catch can for a little over a month, and it goes from the nipple farthest right on the valve cover of the two (facing the the engine at the front bumper) into the catch can, and a line out back to the intake elbow. So is that right on not? I dunno how its suppose to be setup now, because there is nothing in my catch can. Anyway a little update would be nice anyone...
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
my catch can had a few drops after the first day. Well... I am a hard driver and I atleast travel 50+ miles a day. I ran mine off my pcv valve. I ran 3' line (altogether) i have it right next to my air box in a cold location so the oil will condinsate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The PCV system allows alot of oil vapor into the engine. Oil vapor A) makes a mess in the intake B) can cause detonation.

All the 500+ hp blown Mustangs I've put on the dyno all had a separator like that. It's almost essential when you get into boost of any kind.

[Edited by VacuumReactor on Nov 15, 2004 5:17 PM]

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've also found that on my NA tib I get some oil collected if I drive the car fairly hard. I've actually had the little can get full and had to empty it (over the course of about a year).

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I was told that the line you attach it to was the one from the valve cover to the intake (before the TB).

I think leaving the PVC valve line alone is good enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The two hoses coming out of the valve cover evacuate oil vapors. The first under low loads, the other during high loads. There is no need to route them back into their initial destination. I hooked both of mine to a catch can.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Originally posted by Mad-Machine
[body]
I get weird smells without a catch...
[/body]
slow down on the one dollar burritos from taco bell ;):

i think im going to be doing this mod this weekend, and cleaning out my intake. ill post pics.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nevermind... I found the hose at Advance Auto Parts.. 1ft. Fuel Hose 3/8th in.

I used the stock hose to run into the catch can and ran the 1ft hose into the intake elbow.
Also I kept everything close so the oil would not have to travel far. But I didn't really matter how far the air travelled after leaving the catch can.

Here's my pics!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The small valve that leads off the intake on my vehicle doesn't lead to the PCV valve, it ends up to a connector less than 1" to the right of the PCV.

When I removed the intake, I could smell the oil and upon further inspection, noticed a sh*tstain like streak of oil inside the intake.

*My question is, if I install the catch can [any one of the units listed in the aforementioned posts], one line goes to that small intake valve and the other goes to the .....? PCV ? or the valve it's currently running to ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
it goes to exactly the same place it started st. You put it in the middle of where the tube goes now.

to clear it up, if you were going to (not that you would or should) you could cut the tube in the middle leaving it attached to where it is now and attach the occ inbetween the two cut pieces.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here is what your IM can look like after 12k Miles if you don't put this separator in. And just to clarify, it goes between the PCV valve to the IM, not the other one. I have had mine in for 35K miles and my SRI, TB, and IM are clean as a whistle. No need to put one in between the line that goes to the intake. Pointless. Also, leave the white filter element in place. It does not clog.

[Edited by oiml8 on Oct 1, 2005 12:39 PM]

[Edited by oiml8 on Oct 1, 2005 12:41 PM]

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you want to keep the oil out of your engine, you should put this in-between the PCV valve and the IM. This was easier for me to do since I have the airram and the outlet for the PCV from the valve cover is not so close to the inlet (on a stock IM it is right next to the PCV outlet). Anyway, all of you people that have the separator in the line going into your intake hose would really keep a lot more oil out of your IM and engine if you put the separator in your PCV line. My catch can is about 1/3 full after driving about 1000-1500 miles. Do as you please though, I am merely suggesting that you try putting the catch can in-between the PCV and the IM instead of between the valve cover and intake piping. If you do that, you will see the difference in oil collection. To back up my opinion (sorry, don't have pics), when I removed my stock IM, only the first three runners had the burnt up oil in them that you see in an earlier pic on this page. The runner for cylinder 4 was clean. Your PCV valve goes into the IM after cyl. #4, so no oil is drawn into that runner, but the incoming intake air carries the oil through the other 3 cylinders. I suggest that you all try this as it only takes a couple of minutes to do, you will see the difference. :smoking:

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
if you don't see any oil in the catch can, doe's that mean no oil's ever made it to the Intake manifold..i did this install but took it out because i never saw any oil in the catch can,

oh well, time to take out my intake manifold out and find out too.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I only see oil in it when I do auto cross or when I drive to cali w/ the hp.com guys.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cant i just use a cheap fuel filter between the lines.. wouldnt it be the same type thing?

and the pics on first page dont work.. anyone have pics of what you need i thnk im goin to do this to my swapd engine..

[Edited by Excel2NR on Jan 13, 2006 3:56 PM]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Is there anyway to get this reposted with pics because I'd like to do it but there aren't any pictures.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts