Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I got another question; What hose do you tap into? On my car I have two lines coming from the valve cover and going into the intake. One is the PCV line (post TB) and another line (no valve) is pre TB?
The hose you want to put the can on is the one on the intake manifold, not the intake pipe. The intake pipe is a minimal vacuum source. The manifold is the major vacuum source.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
03SHARKGT said:
I realize this is an old thread, but since no one has explained what the little oil going though your intake does, here it goes... The manufacturer puts that little hose there so that the oil going in through the intake will lubricate the cylinder walls, hence making it easier for the piston rings to travel up and down the cylinder sleeves (no metal to metal, as the oil forms a "cushion" between the piston ring edges and the sleeve). This takes away a little bit of hp from your car because the oil makes it a little harder for combustion to take place (maybe 1 to 4 hp max). BUT, it makes your engine last longer. The manufacturer's main concern when developing an engine for the public is reliability and durability (after all, most engines out there today must last over 100K miles with just regular maintenance), so that's the only reason for that oil going back to the intake. If you don't really care about your engine wearing earlier in order to gain a couple hp, then this mod is for you. For N/A cars, if you're not getting any oil in the separator at all, try putting the separator a little lower in the engine bay, preferably lower than the intake fitting it attaches to. Since a N/A engine doesn't produce as much blow-by as a turbo car, this will help the oil move into the separator. Turbo'd cars produce more pressure so the oil will be forced into the separator easily, even if it sits higher. Hope this helps. ;)
^^^^dont read that.. ever.. he is on crack. The state institution has taken him back to his room. He wont hurt us anymore.. however he is working on hondas now...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
^^^^dont read that.. ever.. he is on crack. The state institution has taken him back to his room. He wont hurt us anymore.. however he is working on hondas now...
+1.

Attn: 03SHARKGT...

Oil on the cylinder walls on the combustion side of the piston = bad. Oil on the cylinder walls on the crank side of the piston = good. This is why lowest ring on your piston is called the "oil scraper" ring. It's purpose is to scrape all of the oil off the cylinder walls as the piston moves downward in the cylinder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Alright so I did the catch can thing and I am thinking that I should be worried. . . .
I can fill it (the catch can) ~halfway on one tank of gas. . . . .. . is that normal?
or should I be thinking about looking into a new (or wrecker) engine?
-Possibly bad piston rings?

:eek:
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would think that is bad piston rings.
Are you getting any blue coloured smoke?
Are you pulling a trailer or revving higher than normal when you push that much oil?

141 - 146 of 146 Posts