Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a stock 2002 Accent L (no options whatsoever) 1.5L 12V 5-spd hatchback for my girlfriend to drive to and from work. It has 51,xxx miles on it and a large folder with meticulous maintenance records. Overall, aside from a door ding, it looks literally brand new. We drove 250 miles each way to get it, and on the way home (all freeway) it got 25mpg @ 65-70mph. I have to say, I was a little disappointed.

I know winter gas has an effect on mpg, but what else could be causing this? I just ordered an air filter, fuel filter, plugs, and wires. If those don't help, I'll test the O2 sensors and make sure they're functioning properly. Just curious if you guys have any other recommendations for getting the best mileage out of this little car. We sold our Subaru which got around 25mpg hoping for at least a +10mpg improvement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
My accent avg.ed 33mpg mixed driving. Normal highway was 36 with an all time high of 43mpg on one tank.

The elantra I have now avgs 30mpg mixed... you should be doing better with the accent. I do think you are on the right track. Do a tune up, check front alignment, tire pressure, etc. If that doesn't change anything then it might be the 02. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
My 2001 with the 1.6L would average 30-32mpg, my 1998 would get 36-38mpg, and my 00 with the 1.5L would only get 32ish mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is it that makes the real world mpg vary so much? If it were a difference of a couple mpg I'd understand, but these seem to vary by as much as 10mpg.

Skierd, how many miles were on your 1.5L and how well was it maintained?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
What is it that makes the real world mpg vary so much? If it were a difference of a couple mpg I'd understand, but these seem to vary by as much as 10mpg.

Skierd, how many miles were on your 1.5L and how well was it maintained?
Driving style, maintenance, tire choice, tire pressure, alignment, weight (yours and the stuff you carry), environment, local gas mix, average speed driven, and maybe even the phase of the moon. ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
33-41 mpg in summer with mixed city and highway....and 28-36 in winter cuz of 15 mins warm ups....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
average 31,32 in winter (winter gas, low tire pressure, idling at lunch, less highway driving)

average 34-37 in summer

Have had 41 a time or two.

Have had 27 a time or two (bad gas, lotsa weight, aggressive driving)

Got 24 once. Was carrying 3300 lbs though.:eek:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tires make a big difference. My 99 was in the high 30s until I replaced the 155s with 195s. That dropped it to the low 30s

·
Registered
686 Posts
do they have the correct air pressure in it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also keep in mind you're going to have a more accurate reading if you take an average over a couple of fill-ups. High speeds like that will decrease it (they usually rate the mileage around 55mph, perfect conditions, etc). In addition to the things others have mentioned (load weight, tire pressure/alignment, etc) remember wind speed, road conditions, temperature all play a part. In my 2003 over the winter I'd get as low as 25mpg. I'm getting back up near 30mpg right now with a decent mix of city/highway. I think my best was mostly highway with 2 other passengers and that was 37mpg.

·
Registered
163 Posts
in the local club im in mnsportcompacts.net we do a big cruise every year. last year i think i averaged 38mpg... with SRI, Header, and headerback exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Changed the the plugs, wires, and air filter last week, then filled the tank. Gas light just came on today, at around 369 miles! Took it to the gas station to fill up, and it took 10.01 gallons of gas. Is it really going to improve once they switch to summer blends? WOW. Most of this was highway driving, but, like I said in the initial post, the first tank after we bought it was 99% highway and we got 240-250 to that tank.

I'm extremely happy! Tune up your cars! The nicest thing was those three things plus a new fuel filter (which I haven't changed yet) were $50.05 shipped. Much better than paying $200+ just for a set of plug wires for my BMW's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keeping the throttle body also helps having smooth rev :)

Same thing observed here at the time I first didi it. Magnecor, new plugs and air filter as well as a regular Redline fuel treatment helps a lot !

·
Registered
464 Posts
The best I ever got was about 44 I was running mid grade at the time, when gas was still inexpensive.

Normally I average about 36-39. Keep your rpms a little lower.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts