Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a certain somebody that gained 100 Pounds after she got out of the Marine Corp. She wasn't even pregnant or anything. She is obese right now and having alot of problems with respritory system, being tired, etc etc... Now, I told her that all you need to do is excercise and most of the problems would be gone.. she said "But the doctor said I'm healthy". I don't believe one single bit. WHat kind of doctor look and checks at a fat or obese person and tell that they're healthy?

If you were in Japan or Korea and fat person came in complaining about a problem.. do you know what they diagnose? They will straight up say, "You are overweight".

Before I joined the Navy, I've had a whole bunch of respritory problem and other problems.. i tried alot of inhalers and pills... none of them seem to work. I rarely did any excercise. After I got done with boot camp and until now, I've been participating in Taekwondo, doing morning physical training and i do alot of self excercises and now I rarely get sick and my respiratory problems are gone.

My question to you... what is your opinion on obese people? Do you think doctors should diagnose an obese person simply because they're fat? How can I talk to this certain someone?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Like a human being for a start. Sounds like someones a little shallow...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Talking to anyone is the same. I do understand that you would like to know how to talk to her about how you're concerned about her weight that she has gained isn't healthy for her. It's typically a persons choice to be that way (some people do have health problems that cause obesity like an underactive thyroid, but they do have medications for that). I know it's a person choice to be that way, because I was up to 196 pounds back in 2000 (only 21 pounds over what's a good weight for me) and it was do to me having a see food diet (I saw the food and ate it) and not exercising. I went to bend over one day to tie my shoes and my belly got in the way. I though to myself you lazy son of a ..... and decided to do something about it. With my family history of heart disease etc...I needed to do something.

Exercising and eating healthy. This is something that I will have to do the rest of my life to stay at this current weight of 175 and be healthy. You see I was dissapointed in myself for letting that happen and wanted to do something about it. Most people either don't care or give up even trying.

As long as she's happy. Now the health conditions that occur due to being overweight are many. She's already finding this out. Alot of people don't like to hear that they're obese, they usually already know it. MD's in this country do address issue's of being overweight. Regardless of skinny or fat everyone needs to exercise and eat healthy (but most don't know what to do). Reading an article a couple months ago, don't remember the name but it looked at the epidemic of people overweight and that 80% of American's are overweight and a large amount of those are obese.

I'm assuming when the doctor told her she is healthy means that a virus or bacteria isn't making her unhealthy. I'm sure he told her that she needs to loose weight, but she is probably too embarrased to omit that.

I wouldn't say anything to her, you have to accept her for her. If you can't accept her for her, then that's something for you to decide.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doc, thanks for the reply. I used to be fat myself in 2000. I was sick of it. I don't think she is happy with her weight,... and she gets very offensive when I talk about her doing some excercise. She has 3 excercise equipment in her house.. and she fails to use themm.. it pisses me off.. she spent alot of money on this "gazelle" excercise.. she hasn't touched it once.... da

1 - 4 of 4 Posts