Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so it seems my rotors are seased,when i turn my front wheels in neutral they drag bad, when i spin with my hand the tire it on turns half a rotation,im usumming this is to much should they free wheel ?:puzzled:

[Edited by sweet-ride on Oct 21, 2005 7:26 PM]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
how hard do you spin it with your hand, that actually seems normal to me, you should not be able to freespin it like a bicycle tire.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am sorry for not understanding the question or problem all the way.

If the rotors cannot be seized up. they are a rotational part but have no moving parts.
- around the rotor is a caliper. this is what holds your brake pads. This however, can seize up, which would mean it would seize in the open position, or closed. in the open position you would not have front brakes, in the closed position they would be applying constant pressure on the pads against the rotors, which would cause the car to fight the front brakes (like having the brake on when you are driving).

For the wheel play, that is part of what I do not understand. When the car is jacked off the ground, you will feel the play in the differential, the diff is what connects the transmission to the drive wheels, and there is play in it.

when you push your car forward in neutral, you will hear the pads riding along the rotors, this is normal. However, when in doubt:

-=-> Pull off both front wheels, check everything that you can see.
1. Check the brake lines for rot (small cracks)
2. Check rotor for uneven wear, of that monderful mirror finish
3. Check pads to make sure there is still meat on them
3a. Check that both pads are wearing evenly (both sides the same thickness)
4. Check all the bolts on the caliper (all one of them) and the two bolts that hold it to the spindle.
5. Check the halfshaft play, make sure it's not loose or rattling
6. Grab the strut and shake it HARD. If it does not move, it's fine
6a. If it does check your two bolts that mount it to the spindle
6b. Check your upper strut mount, make sure it's solid
7. Drink a beer at this point, you deserve it!!

There is plenty of other maintenance that you could do

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by meee2yo
[body]No im sorry i thought my calipers may be seized,brake pads and pins look fine the calipers pistons push in easy enough,so im going to check my mastercylinder some how to make sure its releasing pressure from the calpiers,if i pump my brakes up and release the bleeder in the caliper without pushing the brake pedal at same time the fluid shouldnt fly out at me right???

Sorry for the bad explanation
I am sorry for not understanding the question or problem all the way.

If the rotors cannot be seized up. they are a rotational part but have no moving parts.
- around the rotor is a caliper. this is what holds your brake pads. This however, can seize up, which would mean it would seize in the open position, or closed. in the open position you would not have front brakes, in the closed position they would be applying constant pressure on the pads against the rotors, which would cause the car to fight the front brakes (like having the brake on when you are driving).

For the wheel play, that is part of what I do not understand. When the car is jacked off the ground, you will feel the play in the differential, the diff is what connects the transmission to the drive wheels, and there is play in it.

when you push your car forward in neutral, you will hear the pads riding along the rotors, this is normal. However, when in doubt:

-=-> Pull off both front wheels, check everything that you can see.
1. Check the brake lines for rot (small cracks)
2. Check rotor for uneven wear, of that monderful mirror finish
3. Check pads to make sure there is still meat on them
3a. Check that both pads are wearing evenly (both sides the same thickness)
4. Check all the bolts on the caliper (all one of them) and the two bolts that hold it to the spindle.
5. Check the halfshaft play, make sure it's not loose or rattling
6. Grab the strut and shake it HARD. If it does not move, it's fine
6a. If it does check your two bolts that mount it to the spindle
6b. Check your upper strut mount, make sure it's solid
7. Drink a beer at this point, you deserve it!!

There is plenty of other maintenance that you could do
[/body]
[Edited by sweet-ride on Oct 22, 2005 2:55 PM]

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
hmm well with that, the master cylinder would be the one to check if its doing that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts