Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1999 1.6 si Hyundai Lantra. My back right drum brake keeps sticking. Today Ive tried to take the drum off to take a look at it but i cant seem to get the damn thing off. Is there any tricks in to getting this thing off?
Ive tried the usual trick, bashing the drum from all angles with a mallet and a piece of wood. Ive also tried to hit the drum off from the back but nothing appears to be budging. There appears to be two screws on the face of the drum but the person that has replaced the drum before me appears to have sheared a screw and not replaced it and left the other one off.
I noticed a little white plastic thing at the back of the brake on the inner plate. I haven't a clue what it could be for. Does anybody know what this could be for?

In the instructions i downloaded off the Internet it says to remove the brake drum. It then says to take of the wheel bearing nut and remove the rear hub with the brake drum. Another set of instructions from the same website tells me to just remove the brake drum. Do i need to take the wheel bearing nut off first?

If i do need to take off the wheel bearing nut, do you have any tips for me to remove it since it looks like part of the nut is bent into the stump axle? Will i need to replace anything after i have taken it off?

Hope to hear from a guru soon,

Robert

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go to the parts store and buy shoes and a hardware kit for the drums. (gonna need it when u break ****) Look on the front of the drum, there should be some metric threaded bolt holes tapped into the front of it. I believe that the bolts should have a 12mm head on them. If you don't have any laying aroud, simply pull a bolt off of somewhere that you know is not necessary, you will be able to put it back after. Thread the bolt into the hole and start tightening, it may help to spray the front of the drum with some penetrating oil. Once the drum starts moving switch to the other bolt hole. Simply keep working back and forth until you have the drum off. If there is a notch worn in the drum, it will more than likely break some clips or retainers in the process, hence the hardware kit you bought. You may also be able to get a loan a tool puller from a local parts store. This will simply bolt into the two holes and have a central bolt that you tighten to remove the drum. A harmonic balancer or steering wheel puller may work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot all about this thread.

I managed to get the drum off. There is a slight lip in the drum from the brake shoes. Not even half a mil deep though so i haven't had it skimmed. I think that might be partly the reason why it wouldn't come off along with the fact that the brakes were stuck on hard.

My hand (E) brake was stuck on. On the back plate the hand (E) brake enters the drum. Does anybody know if the little piece of metal that the hand (E) brake cable goes through can be replaced on its own? The housing of the hand (E) brake is pressed on one side of the piece of metal and the spring on the cable is pressed up against the other side. The piece of metal has a retaining clip but i couldn't seem to pull any part of it off nor could i seem to see what the retaining clip did exactly.

I ask this because the hand (E) brake cable was getting stuck in that little piece. I tried to free it up as mush as i could with WD40 and tugging the cable from one side to the other but it doesn't seem to of free-ed up completely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts