Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in the past seen pics & info on a lc accent with a beta 2L wich was turbocharched with an Evo manifold, and I have heard of people using these and DSM manifolds w/stock DSM turbos to boost beta motors. I obtained one of these set-ups for free(no loss to me if it doesn't work),I have the manifold, the TDO5H turbo, the exhaust/wastegate downpipe, blow-off valve, & the small intercooler wich I probably wont use anyway, and some piping. The exhaust manifold flange is very similar to the one on the stock beta1 2L manifold tha I have. The exhaust ports are the same shape and size, and they line up perfectly,the bolt patern on the flange is similar,but some of the holes are different diameter, and are farther between, a solution for this would be to have a professional fabricator weld on the flange from the tiburon. That might work but the turbo's flange on the manifold is located directly to the side of the motor where my altenator, p/s pump, and drive belts are. The air inlet of the turbo is right next to the altenator, not much room for an intake! Speaking of wich, the air inlet on the turbo is 2", it's a small turbo, so small that i'm wondering if anything is possible at all here. If anybody can tell me what's up that'd be cool, I'm just looking to set-up a basic turbo on my car, big power isn't even an option, my car is an automatic & i'm not into racing it, I just want drive it daily with no more than 200hp.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The manifold can be used but the holes will need to be drilled-out so that they line up. Also, you will lose your power-steering this way.

I'm not sure about the intake but if you search these forums I'm sure you'll find the answers you are after.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If this is true then I can take advantage of it...

Good info bud:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you OzFxCoupe your input is much appreciated, I had not realized the fact that I would have to lose my power steering if I did this, after reading your post I went out and had a look at my car to see this. This manifold is definitely not worth the hassle, I dont even think drilling the holes would be agood idea, because having the bore of the hole larger than the diameter of the stud would cause it to loosen up due to the vibration of the motor, and therefore create a leak, and warp the manifold(as far as I know, please feel free to correct me otherwise if I am wrong, as we can all use this info). It would altough work well to weld the tiburon flange on. Anyways this pretty much voids the use of the TDO5H on this motor because even if I use a similar manifold with the turbo's flange on the other side of the engine away from the alt., p/s pump,etc the outlet of the intake side of the turbo that leads to the intercooler would run into the exhaust manifold tubes. I'll probably sell this turbo(and misc parts) later on if I can find out a few good applications for it, so far I know that the honda guys have used these to boost their d-series motors, and I think it would probably go well on small vw powerplants like the good old 8valves with the exhaust ports in the back. If anybody knows of some good hyundai motors this setup would work with post it here so we can discuss it

·
Registered
846 Posts
you can use your existing manifold by silpy welding a flange for the td05 on to it. many peoiple do it, including me, with good results. also there are a number of aftermarket manifolds available for the beta, will none of them bolt up to a td05?

·
Registered
91 Posts
^ The TD05 has a triangular flange & I don't think any of the readily available Beta manifolds come with a suitable flange. Most are T2 or T3 flanged.

·
Registered
846 Posts
you sure? i thought the td05 was one of few mitsu turbo's that are available in triangular and rectangular flanges.

infact i thought they were oem equitpment on some us spec mitsu's?

i could be wrong though, im not so well read on us/canadian spec cars...

[Edited by T-WING on Oct 31, 2005 9:25 PM]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Forget what I said up above... I was thinking of a different turbo from a different car.

This TD05 will use it's own DSM rectangular flange but not the same one as the T2s or T3s.

·
Registered
846 Posts
yep. thoought so. they do come with a triangular flange as well i think its the td05h, if i am corect, that is for the subys...

but yeah, thats irrelivent... sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts