Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're here researching Sonatas, listen to my story and decide for yourself. I'm sure there have been a lot of good experiences with the car for other folks, but I seem to have gotten a dud 2006.

My entire engine was replaced at 34,000 miles after a valve guide fell into the cylinder at highway speed. At the time I expressed to Hyundai that I was distrustful of the car after such a bad failure so early. I was told that I would come to trust the car in time.

Around 50,000 miles I got an engine light. I was told it was a minor transmission code and they replaced the fluid and sent me on my way. A week later the light came back, this time for transmission failure. The entire transmission was replaced with a rebuilt transmission.

I expressed my concerns to Hyundai again, got a call back from the exact same person that called me back last year telling me that I would come to trust the car in time. Everything he said was, to the word, exactly what he said after the engine was replaced, obviously crafted by their legal department.

Their line is that they did what they were obligated to do under the warranty and they're right. But it's no fun to drive a car when you're waiting for the other (third?) shoe to drop and they are steadfast that they are not interested in cutting me a deal on trading in my car. I'm not asking for anything free, just to work out something where I can trade in mine without my payments going up or getting extended too far into the future. I'm not trying to screw over Hyundai, I just want something trustworthy. Or some kind of small gesture that shows they value me as a repeat customer.

I mentioned that I'm surprised they weren't going to offer me so much as an oil change and the rep's reply was: "Now you've gone from wanting another car to wanting an oil change?!" Funny, he said that exact same thing last year, too.

Interestingly, when I called to mention my transmission was bad and that the engine had already been replaced, the rep who took the call told me she's seen them replace entire cars for less. When I mentioned this to their regional rep who called me back he told me the first rep wasn't an employee of Hyundai, just someone in Utah who answers the phone.

So there you go. I'm going to dump this car (the fourth Hyundai in my household) and get something else and Hyundai will never see one penny from me again. Yes, they stand by their warranty, but don't expect them to do anything to value you as a customer. They don't care. They'll do the minimum and that's it.

Decide for yourself. You'll probably have no problems. Or maybe you will.

Feeling lucky?

·
Registered
959 Posts
i think i speak for almost everyone on here when i say.... there's a lot of bull **** in that post. this is a performance forum. ie, keep it running or make it run better. not a support group for trolls. seeee yaaaa.:eek:

·
Registered
959 Posts
lol. wait.... ahem. i can't believe you posted that same bull **** in four different hyundai forums. Dud 2006 Sonata
for example.

buddy, looking at your pics online, i don't think you ever even touched a hyundai.....

LOL!!!!

go back to your honda forum. lol

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Mine is about to cross the 100k mark, in 200 miles actually. Its been a very good car to me, even with the way I drive it. :D

So you dropped a valve and blew the transmission that close together? Did you try and drop it into 2nd at 100mph? Not sure if the auto will even let you do that on the sonata.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
All I can say is it sounds to me like Hyundai did what they were supposed to do. Sheesh, thats why there is a drivetrain warranty, to replace it when it fails. And it failed, and they replaced it. Guess you expect a new car when the motor or tranny fails. Never heard that before. Sounds like you were awfully gullible to think they'd replace are car over a pooped out motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well guys, I was a Tech for Huffines for just over 7 years. 3.5 of it for his Hyundai team. I will put that bad story on the actual dealership he went to. Huffines has seen and heard it all and they take care of their customers. I just bought a 2007 Sonata 3.3L. I haven't worked for them for just over a year now and he still gave me the employee discount!!! 38,000 miles and paid 11,000 for it. Pretty good deal for the dallas fort worth area. They usually sell for around 17-19,000... So I'm happy. I also have many friends that still work on them, so I'm set. I, obviously know how to do alot on it also. Anyway, there are horror stories with all manufacter's. Lexus, Infinity and definatly Nissan. I love my 93 SE-R. I put an sr20det and have 407hp with 356ft Ibs of torque, but the new cars. Well, they are not standing behind they're warranty. Anyway, yall take it easy and hope all's well for everyone. Travis....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol 34k miles huh? I had an 06 SE-R spec V, first engine was at 6k, 2nd was at 12k, traded in at 30k for my evo. I still like the sentra as a commuter car, and I would probably buy one again, but it would stay stock. (I had a header/exhaust with the 3rd engine, the one that lasted the longest, and was still running strong when I traded it in.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
sup zander. yah, the newer sentra se-r in my opinion was junk in comparison. My 93 sentra se-r ran 15.8 stock at ennis motorplex. (that's in the 1/4 mile) The fastest I could trap with my turbo setup was 13.0... Slicks spinning the whole way. 13.0 flat at 118mph.. pretty fast for a 13 sec run. Anyway, I still have car and was in the middle of a new setup when my son was born. Now I have no time to fix it. He's 5 yrs old now!!! Well, peace Z....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts