Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a thought I was just wondering if anybody has used E85 succesfully I know some dsm guys are converting and I was thinking of using this fuel with my new setup..

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Ethanol has a higher octane rating so that’s great for boost, it just takes more of it to produce the same amount of power. I think ethanol has 75% of the BTUs as the same amount of gasoline. You will also need to replace lines with stainless and check the injectors for compatibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So be prepared to lose power and fuel economy. E85 is total BS. I am new here, but I have a background in alternative fuels and emissions. If you are talking about raace car engines and alcohol/ethanol substitution I have no experience whatsoever, but for the average driver, fuggettabout it.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
with a turbo you can make more power, its just going to take alot more fuel to do it. Saab has a flex fuel that when it knows ethanol is in its tank it allows more psi from the turbo. Just make sure you have alot of fuel points driving that thing around :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya I know it has a higher octane rating wich is good but fuel consumption sucks with the turbo setup im making it should be okay just alot of tunning and R&D. but I will be doing my part for the enviroment. any ways just a thought ill figure out wether to use it or not when my next turbo setup is done. I just wanted to know if anyone on this site has tried this yet...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh as far as fuel points I have greddy emanage so ill tune for both e85 and pump gas so I can switch over at anytime..

·
Registered
21 Posts
ethanol

I was told by the owner of a 900 hp camora that if you switch from gas you are going to need twice the amount of fuel and air. with the turbo the air is taken care of, but you will need to double your injectors. so far the largest injectors that i've seen are 600cc. if you are running them now then you will need ot cutom fab an additional set into you intake manifold as close to the other ones as possible.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
no ill be running 1000cc even without ethanol, um 2.0 hx35um setup of motor still debating wether fully built or decompression plate. i already have almost everything and since my car was turbo before i have the 3" exhoust boost gauge and other stuff. my cars setup was already determined by me but i just thought it would be fun to try something new... oh yah i have srt4 injectors that i thought about using they fit the 1.6 and im assuming they fit the 2.0 and if they do then i know srt4 have aftermarket 1000ccinjectors..

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Check out the new Hot Rod Magazine, they have a great article about just this very thing. As for Marb and fuel economy, the point to change to E85 isn't for fuel economy per say, it is to get the benfits of racing fuel at the price of regular gasoline.

·
Registered
499 Posts
" but I will be doing my part for the enviroment."

Don't let the politicians give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about ethanol. It takes 9 calories of oil and gas to produce 10 calories of ethanol. Since the is a MOST optimistic estimate of the production efficiency there really could be an energy loss in the process. Also, the runoff from corn fields is much greater than most other crops and corn uses a LOT of water. Thus, there is a lot of erosion and loss of top soil. If you think that running out of oil is bad try running out of top soil. If you really want to save oil by using corn I suggest that you use it to heat your house instead of oil.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
rocconi said:
" but I will be doing my part for the enviroment."

Don't let the politicians give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about ethanol. It takes 9 calories of oil and gas to produce 10 calories of ethanol. Since the is a MOST optimistic estimate of the production efficiency there really could be an energy loss in the process. Also, the runoff from corn fields is much greater than most other crops and corn uses a LOT of water. Thus, there is a lot of erosion and loss of top soil. If you think that running out of oil is bad try running out of top soil. If you really want to save oil by using corn I suggest that you use it to heat your house instead of oil.
You are also going to spend more money on E-85 than gas. E-85 BTU rating is 85,000 compared to 129,000 for gas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya but it is different but maybe your right I just been getting cought up in this whole green stuff and I thought I might try something diffrent... well see when I finish I should be done toward the end of january.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
hyundaiturbo14b said:
ya but it is different but maybe your right I just been getting cought up in this whole green stuff and I thought I might try something diffrent... well see when I finish I should be done toward the end of january.
You'd get betterresults with CNG or propane.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
And since we're nerdy and like numbers...

C12
The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of today's race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other local and national championships across the U.S. and around the world.

Color: Green
Motor Octane: 108
Specific gravity: .717 at 60° F

NEW! U4.2[SIZE=-1]TM
The latest generation of our U4 based fuels, this fuel is a direct pour-in replacement for U4 with little to no jetting changes required - +2 main jets and +2 pilot jets at the most. Makes power equivalent to U4 with no sticky residue and a less pungent odor. U4.2 passes AMA amateur fuel rules and is perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. U4.2 makes up to 6% more power than pump gas. [/SIZE]
Color: Blue
Oxygenated: Yes
Motor Octane: 102
Specific Gravity: .784 at 60° F

MR8
For use in 125 and 250 GP 2-stroke bikes and karting applications requiring high octane values. AMA legal except Supercross and Outdoor Nationals. Fueled the 2002 and 2003 AMA 250 GP champions. For optimum horsepower and performance, do not store this fuel in vehicle — drain fuel system.

Color: Yellow
Oxygenated: Yes
Motor Octane: 107
Specific Gravity: .730 at 60° F

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya ive used race gas plenty of times and the benefits are great I could run more timming more boost and less knock, as a matter a fact when its race time all I use is c16 I never go to the track with pump gas...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts