Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just replaced the right cardan on the 2002 Elantra, manuel transmission. The owner told me it wasn't ABS, and visually checked that there's no ABS on the power brake module.

However, the original Cardan had teeth and ABS sensor on the wheel. The new Cardan didn't have the teeth. Replacement went good, however now the owner has a check engine.

My guess is that the sensor is still catching the ABS signal and send it back to the CPU, and therefore not capting any pulse anymore generates the Check engine..

Question :

1 - Is my guess OK ?
2 - If the answer to question 1 is yes, can we turn this code off forever ?, since the car is NOT ABS , it should not take care of that pulse.
3- If it can be done... how ?
4 - Or is the best thing to do is to replace by a new cardan with teeth ?

Thanks

Claude,:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cardan

Hi,

To be clear I replaced the right shaft that has the 2 cardan. In french we call the whole assembly cardan.

Claude,

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Sounds like maybe the car has traction control? Is there a TCS switch on the dash? That might cause a CEL. If the car had ABS and you removed the sensor, that would cause the "brake" light to come on, not the CEL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO TC or ABS

Hi,

There's NO traction control or ABS on the car. This is the VE model which did not include these features. Also I physically checked and there's NO ABS module on the power brake. I have ABS on my 2 vehicles and I can recognize and ABS module.

That said I can't figure the car would have ABS sensors if no ABS is installed, may be it's cheaper to manufacture this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a sensor used by the injection

I found the purpose for the sensor on this non ABS car. It's apparently used by the injection to control the speed of the engine when we shift from one speed to the other.

One of my friend mechanic explained that to me:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts