Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started happening this month. Sometimes it happens just a couple times and other times it will happen for hours.

I go to turn the car on, turn the key, and it just clicks once and then silence. The car doesnt turn over, just 1 single click and nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions what it could be? :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
Turn your headlights on when you try to start the car. If they remain bright then your battery and cables are OK. I would then suspect that you have a bad starter solenoid. It is the solenoid that supplies voltage to the starter motor and engages the flywheel.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Definitely a solenoid. As long as the starter spins correctly (when it actually fires) then you can just change the solenoid. I paid $25 for a Pony solenoid and to have it replaced.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
accent0002 said:
check your battery terminals maybe corroded or loose?
+1. The clamps on my car are worn out. If you battery light in the dash sorta half glows or goes out, then its the cables. if its bright, then the solnoid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. It happened again today for half hour and i thought the car was done but then it started again out of no where.

I checked the battery terminals and they look clean and the lights stay on pretty good when attempting to start. There was just a loud click and then nothing.

Can someone tell me where the started is located on my elantra and maybe where i can get some info about replacing it or the solnoid? And how do i tell if its the starter or the whole solnoid? thanks (i dont want to pay a million dollars for the tech)

·
Registered
499 Posts
First off, make sure that you disconnect the battery before you start disconnecting the starter wires!!!!

You can follow the biggest red wire from the positive side of the battery connector right to the solenoid. The starter/solenoid should be located at the backside of the engine where it meets the transmission. Autozone might be able to test it for you and determine the bad part. Unless you can get the car on a lift it is probably a pain in the butt job so you will only want to do it one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts