Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post my story about almost wrecking my car on a dumb deer.

Last weekend I was driving up into the mountains where my parents live to house-sit while they were away for the weekend. It was dark, probably about 9pm, and we were driving along behind a few cars. I'm yapping to my girlfriend, and i hear her make a sound like "oh.... OH!". I look to my left and there is a deer crossing the road nearing my left front fender. I was doing about 60mph and knew that a head-on collision with a 200-300 pound deer would not be pretty on my car, or us for that matter. In a split second, I check for oncoming cars, grunted "OH SH!T", slam on my brakes, and jam the wheel to the left. At this point, I didnt care where the deer was, with my eyes on the road, and making sure I didn't end up in the ditch. I was pretty much drifting a little, heard a bonk, and re-corrected back into my lane. At this point, we both were a little shaken up, and I sigh a relief, knowing that my car had survived with minimal damage. I was just hoping the damn thing didnt crack my headlights, corners, or leave a huge dent. MY girlfriend then says the funniest thing, "Oh I hope the deer is okay!" I laughed and said "FVCK the deer, I hope my car is okay!" It's real dark and there would be no point in stopping in the middle of the forest to check out the condition of my right fender. So I keep driving to the local micro-brew, where we were going to stop for dinner anyway. I stop by an overhead light and get out, expecting the worst, and walk around the front of my car. To my total relief, no cracked lenses, no major dents, and no scraped paint. "YES! FVCK YOU DEER!" With the angle of my car when I hit the sucker, it must have just brushed/bounced off my fender clear of the rest of the car. Hope that deer's ass hurts. So we go in, have some good micros and burgers, and drive off home. In the morning, I go out and check my car again. If you look at the fender real low and close, there is a sleight dimple where the deer compressed the fender just a little bit, some streak marks in the paint where the deer slid off it, and a bit of fur.

Sorry for the long story, I was just amazed that we survived a near head on with an animal that is guaranteed to total your car at those speeds (two of my friends had their cars totalled by deer). If the deer had hit us a little more to the left, it would have been much worse, setting off airbags, killing deer, totalling car, blood, pain, big mess. Must have been my mad driving skillz that saved us all! :lol:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yeah deer suck ass. My mom hit one back when she had a 97 Sonata GLS and it cost us...well the insuranec company almost $7,000 in damage and the airbags didn't even go off..that is how much body damge there was...oh that price is not including the 500 deductable. She hit the deer going about 70-75..so her car was ****ed up..but still drivable to where she could drive 3hours to get back home. Deer suck ass!!!!!:dead:

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Thats it, Im never ever driving my car in the dark woods late at night. Way too many people here have hit or nearly hit deers in their Hyundais. It must be some sort of bad Korean vibes or something.

But yeah, way to save the ride/yourself/girlfriend dude.

·
Registered
372 Posts
couple years ago, i was driving home, and ahead of me, like 1/4 mile, there were cars coming at me...well i saw a couple deer run across the road in their headlights...the 3rd deer wasnt so lucky...the cars passenger side hit the deers rear as he was almost across...i saw him fly up into the air...but the car didnt stop...:ermm: funny seeing that thing fly up into the air...thats what they get for not walking by my treestand during hunting season...

i was on my way hunting one time...all of the sudden, a deer is standing on the center line...if i didnt jerk my wheel when i did, the whole a pillar would be smashed from his head...luckily that wasnt in the elantra.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Originally posted by Tibbychick
[body]
Thats it, Im never ever driving my car in the dark woods late at night. Way too many people here have hit or nearly hit deers in their Hyundais. It must be some sort of bad Korean vibes or something.

But yeah, way to save the ride/yourself/girlfriend dude.
[/body]
I dunno about it being a korean thing..lol...I have almost hit one in my Corsica...and my mom's grand am.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I smacked a dog in the head at 70 mph around 3 in the morning in 2001. It destroyed the headlamp, damaged the bumper, fender, wheelwell and driver's door. It was about $1500 in damage.

I didn't see the thing until is was too late. I didn't even have time to say "OH ****!"

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Loud pipes save lives... even animals. I live in an area where there's a good amount of wilderness (depending on which way you go) and people with exhaust have noticed that animals tend to run instead of standing there stupified or entering into your path... If this is true, then there's one good reason!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've hit 3 animals in my Elantra. None in my other non-Korean cars.
First a possum going about 50, slammed on the brakes and swerved, still went right underneath the tire. Took DOT 5 days to clean it up.
Second a cat. It was kinda funny, about a year and a half ago I was driving in steady traffic thinking about if my recent dumping of my girlfriend was a good idea. I was thinking, geez, I need a sign. Next thing I know a black cat jumps about 3 feet in front of my car from an elevated shoulder, no time to react. Hits middle of front bumper, no damage just a little bit of it's poop on and under my licence plate. I looked in my rearview mirror and it was flopping in the street, and another car hit it. Still not sure if that was my sign or not...:nervous:But I did just get back with that girl about 2 months ago, and she's driving me nuts.
And last week I hit a bunny in my neighborhood. Those things are stupid.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm just one more reason to get my exhaust installed Freak7882. :D
As soon as I get my financial aid, going to the shop.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
I've had my Accent in northern MI twice during the winter and luckily no deer or accidents. **knocking on wood** I have to say that it is bad up there and I don't think there is a member of my family who hasn't hit a deer in MI. My grandmother once hit three in one season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts