Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Elantra Gls. The electric door locks are very sluggish. I'm speaking of locking/unlocking the driver door and the other doors automatically follow. Sometimes they work and sometimes they dont but even when they do, if I continue to lock/unlock, they work less and less until not at all. Then, after sitting for whatever length of time (1Hr-24Hrs) It sometimes works again. Also, when it doesnt work, I can hear it trying to work.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stocker. I finally got around to removing the panels and lubricating the links. I found that it did not help.

I'd appreciate other suggestions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm. With the actuators disconnected from the linkages, are they still slow?
I'll have to take the door panels off again to see. Btw, I just used WD-40 to lubricate, is that good enough or should I use something else? I have lithium spray too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would have voted for a penetrating oil personally. Go buy some Kroil or Zep45 or similar. It will cut down thru the crud if anything will. Then if it helps, wipe it off and grease w/ whatever hyundai says to use.

If the actuators themselves are sluggish, and won't respond to a drop or two of oil, they may just be 'old'. If the actuators respond to direct application of power, it may be the controls going south. Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have voted for a penetrating oil personally. Go buy some Kroil or Zep45 or similar. It will cut down thru the crud if anything will. Then if it helps, wipe it off and grease w/ whatever hyundai says to use.

If the actuators themselves are sluggish, and won't respond to a drop or two of oil, they may just be 'old'. If the actuators respond to direct application of power, it may be the controls going south. Good luck.
I will try to get the lubricants you've suggested. Hopefully Ace has them. (we dont have a lowes or Home Depot in town.)

What part forces the actuators to move? Is that what you mean by "controls". Where exactly is it located and is there one for each door or one to power all four doors? Haha. I dont know anything about this stuff so I need to ask all these crazy questions... Thanks though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Disclaimer: this is info I got for working on my 2000 and they change over the years:

Off the top of my head, I want to say there's a module called ATACS that controls door locks & some other stuff. For a 2000 it's in the dashboard somewhere.

The linkages are driven by a solenoid mounted in the door. It'd be pretty obvious: something w/ wires on one side and a linkage going out the other end, attached to the door mechanism

1 - 8 of 8 Posts