Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
As long as you have a cat converter and the o2 sensors properly placed and the other emission control systems in place, you will have no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since the 2.0L on my car has two cats. One right after the head and one under the car, how would that work since I would be replacing the first cat with the turbo manifold and turbo? I was wondering the same thing. I'm from Vancouver, WA and am most likely going to get moved up there when I come back from Iraq. Louisiana doesn't do emmisions testing so I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the 2.0L on my car has two cats. One right after the head and one under the car, how would that work since I would be replacing the first cat with the turbo manifold and turbo? I was wondering the same thing. I'm from Vancouver, WA and am most likely going to get moved up there when I come back from Iraq. Louisiana doesn't do emmisions testing so I don't have to worry about it.

Cool, thanks guys....

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The emission system only monitors the one cat (usually the first one). When headers are installed, the 2nd cat can be the one that is monitored if/when the o2 sensors are positioned correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After living 4 minutes from work for almost 4 years now I seriously loath getting stuck in traffic. Thanks for the info on the cats. If I get stationed at Fort Lewis I will be in King county I think.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That's Pierce County, but you're only 10 minutes away from Thurston County if you want to live off base and not worry about emissions.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
My car gets driven under heavy load (lotta weight @ low RPM), so I'm sure it'll fail in the next few years.:( I'll just use it as an excuse to get a bigger engine.

However, not ALL of Snohomish County has emissions, depends on the town. Unfortunately my place does.:mad:

Pierce County might be the same way depending on which town you're in.:confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
most stock systems are clean enough that even if you get rid of the first cat and leave the second your car will still pass a sniffer test. now in cal you would have problems.

·
Registered
502 Posts
not too many problems in California as u might think. it just matters how much your willing to pay and what you plan is to pass it.:D

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
To get stupidly anal about it as soon as you remove a cat and do not replace it with an equal to stock part. You just broke federal emission laws. The real question is... does your state give a damn? TX even has a law saying the same thing the feds do, but I don't see them pushing it outside of the larger cities. I would go down to where you get the car inspected locally and ask them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
to tell you the truth most cops here don't care how loud or smelly your car is.:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
The emission system only monitors the one cat (usually the first one). When headers are installed, the 2nd cat can be the one that is monitored if/when the o2 sensors are positioned correctly.
just moving the o2 sensors 1 before and 1 passed the cat or what?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts