Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 accent has developed an annoying clatter while cold. It is more noticeable after letting off the gas and dissappears after the engine has warmed up. Here is a link to a video of it:

YouTube - 06 hyundai accent piston slap?

Ive posted this on some of the other sites and have gotten varied responses. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
My LS1 (like a lot of them) has piston slap issues and I can say that what you have doesn't sound like my piston slap and you would be the only Hyundai I've ever heard of with piston slap.

It also doesn't sound like a normal sound to me. It doesn't sound like the injectors, although that is by far the most common reason for loud "ticking" under the hood of an Accent. Listen right by the injectors and see if that's where the noise is coming from just to be sure to rule it out.

It sounds to me almost like maybe your intake cam chain is hitting something? Maybe due to some sort of CVVT issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive taken it to one dealership and they stated it was "normal" and could be reproduced on other new accents on the lot. I don't know, but like you said, it doesn't sound "normal" to me.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, if something fails it'll be covered under warranty and if it doesn't then it'll just be a little noisy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine does that too. Probably just the oil being a bit sluggish up to the valvetrain or something.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Just got to thinking...are you using a cheap oil filter? When I used a Fram it was loud like that in my valvetrain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
noisey tappet noise

when was the last time u change ur oil and filter,
my accent made the same noise, its the hydraulic lifters,
my car was well overdue for a service, i just serviced it plus
engine oil flush, problemed solved

ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Current oil (syntec blend 5w-30) and OEM filter have only been on there for ~1000mi. I first noticed the noise after I switched to synthetic oil (Pennzoil platinum 5w-30) on my last change, and thought it might be due to the thinner synthetic oil, so I switched to the blend with no improvement.

Ive been religious with 3750mi oil drains and OEM filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts