Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

engine damper for beta LC's and X3's

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  wilburisthecoolest 
#1 ·
I hate the wheel hop my beta lc is producing and i don't have $20 to buy a set of 3 motor mount's from evo or kspec..

i was thinkin a alternative to restrict engine movement is to mount a damper from the strut tower to the engine head to limit movement so i can put the beta's power to the ground..

#3 ·
i tried that and the window weld for some reason don't stick to the mount, when it was dry, i could literally peel it off.

ain't there some kind of liquid polyurethane that i can use?

#6 ·
and for that..you got yourself a car which doubles as a body massager..

#8 ·
the car is very anoying when in idle..it's vibrate's most of the car's cabin but i only feel it on the door's and the steering wheel..some of the storage compartments minorly vibrate a little but only if i have something in the compartment's that will make it rattle.

when i have the money..i'm gonna buy a crapload of edead or whatever sufficable sound deadening there is and drown the hood in it, wrap the roof with it, drown the door's with multiple layers of it, wrap 3 layer's of it on the spare tire area.

this car need's yards and yards of sound deadening..

my car will be the 2nd recarnation of tibby01's RD2..
his sound deadening project motivate's me alot..
complete teardown..insulate and rebuild.

result..more quiet than a lexus..

#9 ·
You want an engine damer? Chevy celebrity's have this huge damper that goes from cilynder head to raditor suport. Really nice. Fill them with window weld, fab up some mounts. and call it golden.

#10 ·
#12 ·
installation was sucessful and the engine was hardly flexing..but the problem to this was that it rattled like crazy..i could hear the dampener making the car vibrate like a *****...

#13 ·
something that might help you is to look at the engine mount diagram for a 1989 bmw 318i. they had this on them. might help you to figure out how to do this right. sound deadening is a good idea, but it adds loads of weight. your best bet is isolating the problem. You'll never have it 100 % because the accents are highly, and I mean ridiculously sensitive to NVH. Mine had awful cabin boom, and vibration problems. Try reinforcing things...like your plastic trim where it meets the headliner with fiberglass tape. Might help a little. But Id check out that diagram. I know its the 318...not sure about the year though

#14 ·
I still like my idea... ;)

Ill need to grab a pic.. its just a top engine mount thing.. and its RUBBER insulated.. thats one thing that that damper you got really dosent look like it..

Here you go, its that black bar to the left of the carb intake. It goes from the engine head to the top of the radiator. Aint pretty, but it stops the engine from being able to rotate, AND is a vibration dampener.

Its right above this ^^^

#15 ·
yeah, i saw a same thing on the rental lacrosse, roll stopper's on the top, not on the bottom.

#16 ·
the problem though is that yours is a transverse, inline cylinder, mounted motor which is inherently prone to vibration. Particularly since, due to its rotation and orientation it naturally wants to pitch the wheels up. Tightening up the suspension would probably help with the wheel hop. Once you do that, I was thinking you could weld a mount for a shock absorbing device on the top of the motor. Run it sideways from the engine to the frame of the car, and I mean I good solid place. That takes care of any sideways pitching, it doesnt have a whole lot so you dont need much here. Then for the forward and aft movement a second one spanning near or on the tranny. Thats the source of most of your vibration I would imagine. It has the most leverage since its the last thing that the motors torque actually "moves" before the gears and stuff. Youve only got one mount in its front. Maybe another in the back with a rubber bushing would fix it. Could be as simple as a rubber bumper or complex as a hydraulic shock

#17 ·
For my $.02 on this one..

My car, and i assume yours, has 4 engine mounts. Two on each side of the engine on the center surport beam to stop lateral movement of the engine. And then two on each side to keep the engine in the center line of the vehicle and what not. Now, that top mount that i showed is on the celebrity because they only have one lateral mount on the front, this stops the engine from rotating. I think that if you retrofitted a mount like that to your car, it would stop the engine from wanting to rotate on you, and i think if will solve alot of your vibration issues.

I dont like that shock set-up because i dont see much of a vibration absorbance built into it. Thats almost like having soild engine mounts. Eh.

GM used that mount design on almost all of its front dirvers. The buicks with the 3.8 in the 80's had huge friggin top mounts. Massive alumium hunks. Im just seeing that as a more viable option. thats all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.