Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1991 X2 Excel, 1.5 carb engine, 130.000 miles.

It will rarely start unless the car has sat for an hour or two. It cranks but doesn't "fire". I'm starting it in neutral, and I press the gas pedal a bit (won't start without it but it seems that's normal for this model). In the morning, I also use choke when starting it.

Car usually starts when I top it up with fuel, and is less likely to start as the tank is getting emptier.

Idle rpm is around 1200 when the engine's hot, should be around 780 according to specs. There's a strong smell of gas when I start the car. Lately I feel the car isn't accelerating very well, but even when it did, I still had the same problem with starting. I have a short ram, maybe that screwed up the air/fuel mixture?

When driving through the mist for more than 5 minutes, I can only accelerate if I press the gas pedal all the way. Then I pull over, let it idle for a minute, and then the rpm goes back up to normal.

There's a hole in the exhaust pipe, it gives the car a cool sound but it's getting louder lately. I'm lazy to find the hole and fix it, not sure does that have anything to do with all this.

When I turn on the headlights, rpm decreases.

Today I've replaced the 45 Ah battery with a new 55 Ah one. Car still won't start until I leave it alone for an hour or two.

The + battery terminal is so corroded that it's falling apart, it probably will fall apart soon, but isn't responsible for any loss of voltage.

I don't want to visit a mechanic because they'll find at least 10 things wrong with this car, they'll fix it, I'll pay, but the chance of this problem getting fixed is slim. I'd say 2-3 things are responsible for the problem, and as I've said, I've eliminated the battery as the possible cause.

If anyone can guess what the problem is and why the car won't start unless it's cold...

Or just tell me which possible cause to eliminate next, let's start with cheaper ones. I'll replace the spark plugs tomorrow...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add this, might be important:

Last time when I drove my usual 250 mile route, I only spent 1/2 of the fuel tank. Usually I end up having only 1/4 fuel left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts