Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Tib A/T

I've got pretty much the same situation as this guy here

97 tiburon fx
2.0l
5spd

yo my exhaust manifold has 2 huge cracks in it, and im thinking about putting in a after market header, but the after market headers eliminate the catalytic converter and thats pretty much illegal and i won't be able to pass emission test, is it possible to relocate the stock cat after the flex pipe?
EXCEPT in the lovely state of Mississippi I need not worry with a catalytic converter due to our lax emissions laws.

I know I'll have to drill and tap a hole in the new header to attach the #1 O2 sensor. (unless someone knows a way to bypass the first o2 sensor)

Now my question is do I need to even need to even bother installing a cat? I've gotten mixed answers on this from the locals but then again I own the only Tibby in town so I would trust input from here where people have actually had first hand experience on Tibs.

·
Registered
686 Posts
you need the first o2 sensor, that one basically tells the engine to add more fuel or add less fuel. the 2nd o2 sensor just checks the efficiency of the cat.

for legal issues you should put a cat on, whether it be a high flow or stock cat, taking it out only gives ya 1-2 hp.

missing either of your o2 sensors will pop a cel and will result in you failing smog...

·
Registered
686 Posts
anytime ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. You'd think the heat from the engine would torch the valuable metals in the Cat converter in no time.

Thanks for the heads up!

p.s. If anyone has old Cat. Converters, take em in to get recycled. You get good cash for them. Some of the rarest metals known to man are inside those things. No lie. Cat. converter thefts in the southern States are epidemic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well here's my follow up on this little project.

I dropped the manifold + cat converter, slapped on the headers. Had the exhaust guy cut a hole and weld a bung (for the o-2 sensor) on the end of the header next to the oil pan and then just weld up the new flex pipe and a bit of straight pipe to make the connection. And then I extended the wiring so the plug could reach the forward O-2 sensor in its new position.

For the first few days I had a CEL (as expected) BUT after about 3 days much to my surprise the light turned off (yes I checked the bulb to make sure it didn't burn out). And my gas mileage is just a little better than it was before (about 5% better):p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to pull out my old receipts to remember what muffler I have. I have a 60 series from Flowmaster. I had that put on like 2 days after I bought the car :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts