Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very VERY new to the tuner world and right now im running a 1998 accent. I (most likly have been stupid) have gone and spent $120 on a magnaflow exahust. Just the tail end, no tubing or tips, or converters, just the tail. Now i installed the tail (its a 2 1/2 inch) which is HUGE! And it has a nice deep idle but when i get the rpm's up it sounds like i just cut my tail pipe off. is this normal?

Second question, should i take the whole pipe system out and fabricate a new system which would be (2 1/4) from the headers all the way to the new tail pipe.

P.S. headers are stock.

I may have used some wrong terminology let me know if this makes sense.
Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
2 and uh half LOL wow mine has 3-1/2 dimensions--- i think u broke ur flex pipe............. check it out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dang... but that dosn't help. Im looking for an increase in HP so my question is should i replace my whole system with a 2 1/2 width OR replace system with that dimensions AND replace the headers

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Best results would be a header, then 2.25" piping from there to your muffler. A resonator will help remove "buzzing".

Short of that it's hard to tell if your car sounds right without actually hearing it.

Does it sound anything like either of these cars?
YouTube - Hyundai Tray Sliding

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watched the video and the first black car was the closed to my sound. I would love to get that deep throb from the red accent. How do i do that?

·
Registered
502 Posts
ok the whole point of magnaflow is to have the high performance with a low sound it should sound like a low hum unless you go to high RPMs.
at a high RPM even with stock parts it sounds kinda loud, so I don't see what your asking.
you want to cut some more sound then add some big resonators.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Thanks! The red Accent is mine.

My exhaust consists of a 4:2:1 header, high flow cat, 2.5" pipe to the stock resonator, new 2.25" pipe to an Apexi N1 clone canister muffler.

It's been an evolutionary process for me though. To set up similarly from the beginning I would go with (optional):
header, (high flow cat), 2.25" pipe, (resonator), 2.25" pipe, Canister muffler

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your system? Did you fabricate your own headers or pick them up somewhere? But that awnsers my question, i need headers, and a highflow cat. ill put a 2 1/2 pipe on all the way through to the magnaflow.

do you suggest the magnaflow or canister?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts