Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Accent GSi. In the cold, I get a "tick" sound from sounds like the exhaust manifold. I hear it in the summer to but not as bad. As the engine warms up, it gets less. I figure this has to do with contraction and expansion of the metal in cold and hot.

Funny thing is, my neighbours son has a 2002 accent that does the exact same thing.

Is this a common problem.

If so, is it hard to fix? Does the exhaust manifold need to be resurfaced to make flat again? Is there a thicker gasket available?

Opinions and help much appreciated.

thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The 95-99 (I believe those yrs, I know it was covered for a 98) had a recall for exhaust manifolds b/c they cracked. Check into the recall on hmaservice.com or with a dealer and have them inspect it and replace for free if its cracked. The ticking you hear could be the fuel solenoid for the fuel purge canister as it ticks quite loud and echoes through the engine bay.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check with the dealer you will get a new better exhaust manifold for free. It happened to my 99x3. Can anyone tell me how the previous owner of my LC happen to crack the heat shield on the exhaust manifold? It is just a small crack in the middle of the heat shield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO.........TYPICAL MANUFACTERER BULLSH&T

I call the dealer and they ask for my VIN#. The answer was

"Oh sorry sir, there is no recorded problems with exhaust manifold for your car"

I start to POLITELY question their answer as well start to POLITELY prove they are incorrect. I told them that the interenet shows "well documented" evidence proving there was a problem with this piece of equipment. Hyundai says"

"Yes, there was in the United States but not Canada"

I said then please explain to me why MINE and my NEIGHBOUR have the same problem? I was also not please with the fact I had a female serving me on this. Now before you jump off your seat and take my head off, I realize there are many good female mechanics out there. As a matter of fact, my very good friend is a female mechanic that knows more then most guys I hang with. However, I got curious and started asking a few simple mechanical questions to this very young sounding lady and she couldn't answer anything. Obviously, she is just hired to look up a recall and say "yes" or "no". That really pissed me off. It's the typical "can't think outside the box" type thinking our world has become.

I said to her.........."Let's put down the book for one minute and think using some common sense here. If there is a recall on this car all through the United States and the internet is filled with information on "cracked manifolds" for this vehicle and I pull into your shop with one, don't you think that maybe... just maybe my vehicle has the same problem the rest of the world has..........EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT RECORDED ON YOUR COMPUTER?"

I finally just hung up on her...............

·
Registered
315 Posts
Croike. Well go to another dealer bring some print outs and there is a number you can call about recalls. Just go from dealer to dealer till you get the right answer. When I was using my '99 X3 I had an auto transmission problem they had an auto tranny recall that exactly matches my tranny problem and the dealer said only for the vehicles made from this month and year to this month & year and m car was made a month after the recall vehicles described. They said it is probably something else so they will check on it. I brought it to my friends mechanic and he checked it and same exact problem but it was not part of the recall months & year the vehicle was made. Their main argument was my car was not made in any part of the month and year that the recall was for. So I said forget it I got an LC 5speed. So I kinda been through that. :sleepy:. Bring a print out of the recall so they can check it for themselves. Hopefully it is not just for the USA accents.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The recal only affected the 98-99's because of the change in manifold design. It went from steel(95-97) to cast iron(98-99) and the cast iron ones cracked. Same thing happened to me, I didn't catch it until it was pretty bad. I already had ordered an aftermarket header, so I didn't take it in to have it fixed for free.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it has more to do with the warranty period in Canada vs. USA. Most of the US Accents had a 10 year warranty, but in Canada we only got 3 years of warranty. By the time the recall came out, most of the Canadian cars were past their warranty period, so Hyundai Canada did nothing. I tried to fight Hyundai Canada on this one, but they were pretty much useless (surprise:hmmm: ). I ended up picking up a used one from a '99, but there is really no telling how long before it goes too.

The difference betwen the '95-97, and the '98-99 models was the catalytic converter location, not the material (both were cast iron). The heat generated by the close-coupled converter caused failures in the manifolds on the newer cars. Honda had the same problem with their '96-00 Civics as well. but since it was a one piece design (like the LC Accents), you could claim them under the government mandated 8-year emission waranty on converters through Honda. Hyundai got away without a recall because the manifold is a separate piece on ours. The worst part is that Hyundai Canada would not tell me if the new manifolds were beefed up or improved in any way. So there is no guarantee that a new factory manifold will be any better! Since they would not admit that there was any problem with the old ones, they have no idea if Canada is a dumping ground for a boatload of bad manifolds or not!

Anyways, I picked up an SS Autochrome (eBay cheapie) header as a backup for when my second one fails. At that time I will have to go with an aftermarket cat under the car and re-locate my O2 sensors. If I was to do it again, I would go with a different header though, the SS header is pretty poorly made, although possibly a bit better than stock.

Backing up a bit, are you sure yours is cracked? Ticking from the heat shield is pretty common, and not necessarily a death sentence for your manifold. Pop the three bolts that hold your shield to the manifold off and pull back the shield a bit. Check in behind there with a good light and listen carefully with the engine running. Mine cracked at the timing belt end, and sounded like a major exhaust leak under acceleration. Just a thought before you go ripping off your old one for no reason!

Good luck!
- JP.8D

[Edited by J.P. on Dec 16, 2005 5:17 PM]

·
Registered
788 Posts
just get a manifold exausth from accent 95-96 ...... they had a 4-2-1 headers stock.... much better then the 98-99 4-1 direct to the cat bull **** ;):

it will improve performence a bit and you wont have the crack problem anymore ;):

·
Registered
281 Posts
or buy the cheapo SSAUTOSHIT header. those stock 4-2-1 header's suck hard, my 96 had one, they dont flow well at all. and you know i was looking at my cracked 99 manifold, i think bolting or welding an adapter plate will let me run a turbo (like doing a hf turbo mani). im gonna take my car to the dealer and have them give me a new mani, and then tell them to give me my cracked stocker back and just weld it up and experiment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts