Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

exhaust removal

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Veritas 
#1 ·
So now that I'm home for break I can finally put on my evofusion exhaust. My friend and I tried taking it off today but couldn't get the pipes off. Seems the flanges rusted together so well they are fused. Idk? We can't get off the bolt, if it even is a bolt. We drenched it in pb blaster and wd-40 and still nothing. Even tried this electric saw and it wouldn't cut it.

Any ideas?

I'd rather not have to take it to a shop, because I know its not that hard to do.

#3 ·
I found penetrating oil to be useless on rusted parts. Try heating it with a MAAP gas torch. If you had a gas real welding setup that would be even better.

#7 ·
02commuter said:
I have to get a new intermediate pipe put on my 02 1.5 I haven't been under there to see how those bolts are but i'm hoping it is easy since the temps are about 30 degrees out side.
the temps outside have nothing to do with it. flamin hot exhaust gas is still going throught that pipe. and then cooling off when you shut it down. its the constant heating/cooling that makes these bolts practically weld themselves together.

#10 ·
If they are really bolts and nuts and not a stud and a nut I found it easier to just tighten the nut until the bolt breaks.

#11 ·
If it's the stock setup then they're studs. Penetrating oil & a deep well six point socket with an impact should do it:) If you think a short well will do it look again.

#13 ·
Veritas,

I just replaced the flex pipe on my 2000 Accent and had the same problem. They are studs that connect to the cat. I had to cut off the bolts then re drill and tap the studs (huge pain in the arse...) needless to say, 6 hours later and 6 beers, it's all done.

I'm getting ready to do the timing belt in the next few weeks... Hopefully that goes smoother...

Cheers,

#14 ·
Klayman78 said:
Veritas,

I just replaced the flex pipe on my 2000 Accent and had the same problem. They are studs that connect to the cat. I had to cut off the bolts then re drill and tap the studs (huge pain in the arse...) needless to say, 6 hours later and 6 beers, it's all done.

I'm getting ready to do the timing belt in the next few weeks... Hopefully that goes smoother...

Cheers,
haha thanks klay. so now its just deciding if i want a shop to do this or if i can find the right tools to do it myself.

#15 ·
It's pretty easy all you really need is a grinder, a drill w/ metal bits (I used titanium bits due to the hardness) and a tap n die set. You can use hardened nuts and bolts if you don't have the tap set. But I'd recommend tapping the holes if you have the tools.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

#19 ·
On my 280z after 30 years worth of driving the bolts were pretty rusty so when I rebuilt the engine I took a torch to it but still broke the bolts :) Needless to say I bought a whole new exhaust system. My opinion, easier than dealing with stuck bolts.

#20 ·
so i took it down to the monroe muffler shop today. 80 cash got the old one off and the new one on. took like 30 mins. they used a torch to heat the bolts up and then beat them off...i think they also cut some of the rust out. oh well, didn't wanna pay...but at least its done.

and the evofusion cat-back sounds amazing, i love it. alot of ppl said its too loud, i think its too quiet if anything. sounds like a european tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.