Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put on a magnaflow muffler on my car, and its sounds decent. my intake overpowers the sound of it. so its a nice deep tone. but i would like it louder at idle and when im driving it... anyway, when the guy put on my muffler, he pointed Out that i have 3 resonators in my exhaust and if he took some out, the muffler would sound better also give me better airflow. my question is, do the resonators really restrcit the air flow ALot? should i take out all three of them ? or leave One on? he said he would give me a custom exhaust and take out all three and give me bigger piping for $300 is it worth it? basically tell me about these resonators.any horsepower gain from taking them out? thanks

[Edited by KP057 on Nov 17, 2005 10:59 AM]

·
Registered
715 Posts
Resonators do not cut down on air flow (much) but the do cut down on sound. Just be warned N/A engines are very based on back pressure if loose too much back pressure you will get back firing and you will loose torque down low in your power band.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So should i just take out 2 resinators instead of all of them? my muffler has a deep tone to it if u really listen. i can hear the deep grr but its faitn over my intake. basically is it worth it to have the guy make me a custom exhaust for $300. will i see / notice anypower gain with 2 of them gone and a bigger pipe? i can tell him to do whatever for $300. i just dont know what to tell him to do. i dont want my car being loud as hell either

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that with 3 off is going to be to loud, you can do whatever you want to, and I do think $300 is to much money for that job I think I paid less than a hundred when I did it. Power gains maybe a little bit I didn't feel that much of a difference, I think the resonators are just there to hold the noise.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Gls99, ( or anyone who knows) if i just take the 2 smaller resonators out and leave the big one in it will sound better... u said u had the same problem with not hearin the muffler?..... basically i just want to hear my muffler and exhuast system. i have a really nice deep sounding magnaflow muffler, when i turn on my car i want it to sound sweet hear all around the parking lot. but not so Loud like my exhaust is broken,,, u guys are cars guy, i dont need to expalin the sound i want. what im trying to decide is ... take out all the resonators and a little bigger pipe? take out 2 resonators and a little bigger pipe?. or take out 2 resonators and keep the same size pipe?...

[Edited by KP057 on Nov 19, 2005 2:56 PM]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats Nice man, i plan to once i get enough money. so should i use 2.25 pipe . what the stock size pipe?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i took all three out and put 2.25in from the cat back and it sounds awesome and runs great and one those resonators is very restricting it was about 1in in dia. inside it was way small inside.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if i take all three Out , with a 2.25 size pipe. it will sound okay? and Not Too loud?. i have a magnaflow muffler and it gives me a nice deep tone. basically i want to to hear it when im idle and people to know i have a muffler... i want people to say damn! when they hear my car racing and in the parking lot. Not damn from a mile away, ya know. so in your opion ,all 3 resonators out sounds ok?...... Sry about all the questions.. haha.. i just want to make damn sure when i go in a few days to get this done, i know exactly what im telling them to do..... Right now i have a cold air intake and just a muffler. when i get this done, say bigger piping and all resonators out, while i see any performance gains?

[Edited by KP057 on Nov 21, 2005 1:41 PM]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts