Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to fight Hyundai Canada on my cracked exhaust manifold. I have fumes entering the car through the heating system when heat is on and car is stopped at a light or stop sign

Please answer
1) Did you have yours replaced
2) covered under warranty
3) Where did it crack
4) Recommendations for aftermarket replacement (where and what company)
5) you use an aftermarket exhaust gasket?
6) Where have you found information about recalls on this issue

P.S. - ANYONE HAVE A STOCK ONE LYING AROUND THEY WANT TO GET RID OF OR SELL?

[Edited by canadianshadowrider on Dec 29, 2005 10:17 AM]

[Edited by canadianshadowrider on Dec 29, 2005 2:06 PM]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Mine was cracked in about the same place as yours and a few others on my 98 accent. They did a recall on them and had to replace it at the dealership free of charge. Try another dealership if theirs one around you. I threw my stock one away unfort. or I would have sent it to you for the price of shipping, sorry and good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine cracked in the same spot. I reused my old gasket (not recommended) and put a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper gasket compound on both sides. I don't know of any aftermarket manifolds for these, and there were none available 2 years ago when mine went. I have put about 50 000 km on my second one (used, off a '99).

As I mentioned in your other post, the SS Autochrome headers from eBay fit, and are cheap if they are still available. However, once you relocate the cat, and the O2 sensors, and hopefully have no CEL issues, you have likely spent almost as much as a new manifold and gaskets from Hyundai.

Good luck with Hyundai Canada.

- JP.8D

·
Registered
706 Posts
If hyundai did have a recall on the exhaust manifold under Transport Canada law THEY MUST fulfull the recall regardless of year/mileage

Recalls don't expire, Some dealers don't like doing recall work on older cars so they will not have to do said work.

check it out
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp

If you want a quick fix Canadian tire sells a manifold crack repair kit, it works good for temporary use. I used it on my neon when my upstream 02 bung on my header cracked.

[Edited by GregsterGSi on Jan 3, 2006 5:20 PM]

·
Registered
381 Posts
That is true, recalls do not expire, but they never recalled them in Canada - only for US registered Accents. That is the problem. I was banging down doors at three different dealerships, Hyundai customer relations, and Hyundai Canada warranty rep. They all refused to admit that there was a problem, and maintained that the US vehicles were different than Canadian ones (Bull$hit!). On top of that, they could not answer if the new replacement manifolds were an improved design since there was no 'defect' in my stock manifold.

As far as dealers not liking to do recall work, that is far from the truth since they get paid either way (not well, but Hyundai pays them to do it flat rate).

The manifold cement did work on mine for a couple of weeks until I found my used manifold/cat. Of for a temporary fix, but it will open up again.

- JP.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Originally posted by J.P.
[body]
That is true, recalls do not expire, but they never recalled them in Canada - only for US registered Accents. That is the problem. I was banging down doors at three different dealerships, Hyundai customer relations, and Hyundai Canada warranty rep. They all refused to admit that there was a problem, and maintained that the US vehicles were different than Canadian ones (Bull$hit!). On top of that, they could not answer if the new replacement manifolds were an improved design since there was no 'defect' in my stock manifold.

As far as dealers not liking to do recall work, that is far from the truth since they get paid either way (not well, but Hyundai pays them to do it flat rate).

The manifold cement did work on mine for a couple of weeks until I found my used manifold/cat. Of for a temporary fix, but it will open up again.

- JP.
[/body]
They don't like doing recall work on older cars...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dealers do get screwed in time on warranty work since the flat rate for the jobs often does not cover the full time it takes the tech to do the work. Warranty work is also usually billed at a lower hourly rate than most shops customer pay hourly rate. So in general any warranty or recall work does not make them quite as much money as the same job at customer pay rates.

However, the benefit of recall work on older cars is that there is more than likely going to be opportunities to "upsell" a few other things a good mechanic may notice while the car is on the hoist. This would usually not be the case on a newer vehicle. Recalls also get cars back into the dealership that they may not have seen for a few years since it went off warranty and the customer started going to "Joes Garage" for cheaper service. So if a dealer tells you they don't like doing recall work on older cars, they aren't very bright!

- JP.8D

·
Registered
706 Posts
[body]
Dealers do get screwed in time on warranty work since the flat rate for the jobs often does not cover the full time it takes the tech to do the work. Warranty work is also usually billed at a lower hourly rate than most shops customer pay hourly rate. So in general any warranty or recall work does not make them quite as much money as the same job at customer pay rates.

However, the benefit of recall work on older cars is that there is more than likely going to be opportunities to "upsell" a few other things a good mechanic may notice while the car is on the hoist. This would usually not be the case on a newer vehicle. Recalls also get cars back into the dealership that they may not have seen for a few years since it went off warranty and the customer started going to "Joes Garage" for cheaper service. So if a dealer tells you they don't like doing recall work on older cars, they aren't very bright!

- JP.8D
[/body]
Thats not true at all, since most people will only get that recall done and thats it. They will go to Joe Garage to get the other things fixed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Some will, but that does not change the fact that it is an opportunity for Hyundai to gain back a customer. Not all independent garages are cheaper, and there are more of them out there ripping off customers than there are dealerships.

- JP.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Yeah well I took my car to the dealership to have the manifold inspected once I found out about the recall (I didnt know if it was cracked or not). Picked the car up the next day with the paperwork and was told all was fine and dandy. One week later I pulled the heat shield off myself to check it out, and their it was , cracks everywhere =-( I took it back and asked what kinda bs is going on and they fixed it for me :smoking:

·
Registered
706 Posts
[body]
Some will, but that does not change the fact that it is an opportunity for Hyundai to gain back a customer. Not all independent garages are cheaper, and there are more of them out there ripping off customers than there are dealerships.

- JP.
[/body]
where are you from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts