Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one has more than 1 farad cap in their car.
I recently finished an install with 3 amps and 2 farad caps. The new yellow top battery dies in about 2 days unless you disconnect the stereo power. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have 2 1.2 farad capacitors in my car, and two yellow-top optima batteries. I don't have any problems. I do have a solenoid that cuts the power from the front battery and the trunk (which has the 2 caps and the second battery) this controls current and only open the connection between the front battery and the trunk when the key is in the on position. But still the rear battery is always connected to the caps and I still don't have any problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, there is something wrong with either the Optima having basically 0 holding capacty, OR the caps aren't hooked up properly and are constantly pulling power away from battery - once they are "charged" they should remain so until you pull juice from them, which when things are hooked up properly will be NEVER when the car is off. I would say put a trickle charger on that Optima until it reads at least 11v and then bring it to Autozone or somewhere to get it bench tested to see if its still good.

If it tests good, then you should disconnect your main power cable for your amps from the battery (or pull the master fuse for the system) and run around like normal. If the Optima still holds juice and tests good after a couple of days, you've basically eliminated the charging system and battery.

Then you would get those caps tested - to "test" I would either take them to a car audio place or use the charging plates they came with to charge them up, then let them just sit on a bench somewhere, completely disconnected from EVERYTHING and then check their voltage/see if they need to accept a complete charge. Capacitors can only hold energy and not generate - but they should be able to hold it for a while. If they are defective they could definitely ALWAYS be "recharging" themselves off of your battery...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had the battery hold a charge for about a month or so before stereo installation. The stereo operates perfectly, so if there was a miswiring then I would think that stuff would (a) sound bad or (b) smoke alot. I think that the caps might be defective, but since it's a show car I'll just charge the battery before a show and "let er rip" I was curious if anyone had some "inside" knowledge on capacitors that I don't already have. Thanks for your insight:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
caps are inferior to using batterys. you need to ditch those and pick up a kinteik high current dry cell battery. they have the power over over 1000 farad cap. and they cost the same or less then a cap so why not do the job right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
optimoprime said:
caps are inferior to using batterys. you need to ditch those and pick up a kinteik high current dry cell battery. they have the power over over 1000 farad cap. and they cost the same or less then a cap so why not do the job right?

The page says 100 one farad caps. Also, I'm not sure if these are meant to be a direct replacement for a battery. I have trouble believing that one of those could carry on function of long storage like a normal battery, yet deliver the instant punch a capacitor can. Perhaps some research is in order...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll eventually install a second battery. This won't even be an issue then.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not to go off-topic, but have you done what's referred to as upgraded the Big Three? Have a look How to upgrade the Big Three

And let it be noted I did this on my basically stock 91 Excel with a 300W system and no caps and it solved a lot of issues with headlights dimming and tach dimming when the bass hit. Small system, but there are NO downsides to doing this.

More notably, I did this in my 90 Acura Integra. This car I had a bigger system in (which will sooner or later be implanted into my Accent). Total would have been about 80amps/500-600watts. I put in a bigger battery than stock (Honda batteries are TINY, and my new one was about 1000ca) and upgraded my big three with some high quality 4 gauge car audio wire. I could turn up the music as loud as I wanted and the lights would not dim, tach would not dive and I loved it. Since I worked at Best Buy I ended up picking up a 1 farad cap and threw it in right before my mono amp to the subwoofer, just to be thorough. Didn't notice a terrible difference since upgrading the battery and wiring did so much.

Bottom line is you should upgrade your wires - and never cheap out on wiring...unless you enjoy fires :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
i guess it was actually 200 one farad caps here is what the site says about mine

"All Kinetik HC Power Cells Feature:
* AGM Technology
* Sealed Non-Spillable Design
* Mount In Any Position
* Ultra Low ESR
* More Plates For Stronger Energy Density
* Higher Voltage Under Load
* Tightly Packed Cells
* Superior Heat & Vibration Resistance
Kinetik HC800 Power Cell
More powerful than 200 1 farad caps!
Compact power that fits anywhere. Use as a reinforcement for amplifiers or as your starting battery where weight is a concern, such as racing applications.
Specifications
Weight: 26 lbs.
Ah: 36
Amps: 950
Dimensions: 7.6" x 5" x 6"
Suggested Retail: $229.00"

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hm.....you'll notice it suggests as a starting battery for use in something like a race car, or to help out the amps.

This seems to confirm my worry - that it is NOT a replacement for a regular automotive battery (which can hold a charge for a long time but can't release it as quickly).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,
I didn't specify what the problem is.
So, The farad caps are digital and only turn on when they sense a drain. So the car will be setting doing nothing, just setting, and all of a sudden one cap will come on (the digital readout will read the voltage of the battery) the caps will turn on like that spuractically & somtime it's one or the other or both. I've been doing stereos for about 12 or 13 years, so I have a pretty good idea on the subject. Through good old fashioned trial & error, I think the caps are defective. It's just annoying that brand new stuff can still be defective, after all the hard work of an elaborate install you get a turd for a damn digital farad cap. On the plus side the stereo is flippin awesome.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know if this relates at all but i'm the computer IT tech business. I know that on the Dell GX270s and the the business line of the IBMs allong with HP motherboards received bad capacitors. they would swell and leak. Wasn't the fault of the computer companies but the supplier they were getting the Capacitors from. All the companies would replace the motherboards even if the computer was out of warranty. Don't know if that applies but everytime I see bad caps I look and see.

Chears

1 - 14 of 14 Posts