Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just recieved my WRX hood scoop that will be going on my LC2 and i'm going to be doing a ram air system by custom molding a fibreglass feed pipe from the scoop directly into my intake, i do need some help tho however..

I've never used fibreglass, and i don't know how to use it so can someone point me into the right directon on what needs to be done or how i can approach this

what materials i need, steps involved??

any help would be extremely appreciated, i might even submit a kit for production on the LC2 models once i get the prototype made for my car

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would start here:
www.selectproducts.com/
That is where I get all of my stuff. I would recommend one of their training videos lots of knowledge on there. I would start on something other than your car, try fiberglassing something lying around like a flower pot or something. I recommend long sleeve shirts and gloves. Pretty much lay the cloth how you want mix the rosin and hardener paint it onto the cloth(try not to leave any air boobles, then sand out all the rough spots. Then lay cloth on top of that and paint and sand again until it is as strong as you would like, then sand the final layer down, prime and paint or what ever finish you want. It tekes a lot of time and pratice makes perfect. If you need any more help or have any questions ask. I would maybe start at your local hardware store adn buy supplies there then order from select.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You might want to rethink that. The engine moves during acceleration/deceleration, so it might crack.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wouldn't build something to go striahg to the intake but maybe something to force air to the current intake, that is what I thought you meant before guess I didn't read well enough.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I'm doing something similar but using ABS plastic.

Hint: have the intake portion secured to the engine, and moves when the engine torques. Have the filter on this section. Connected to the hood you need to have the top portion of the airbox with a foam "gasket" which contacts the surface of the portion that is solid mounted to the engine. Make sure the foam gasket is thick enough to allow for maximum engine torquing, which really isn't too much movement.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it will be fed to the intake itself via Rubber flex pipe & it wont be engine mounted it will be hood mounted so no worries with the shakey thing

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 187sks
[body]
I'm doing something similar but using ABS plastic.

Hint: have the intake portion secured to the engine, and moves when the engine torques. Have the filter on this section. Connected to the hood you need to have the top portion of the airbox with a foam "gasket" which contacts the surface of the portion that is solid mounted to the engine. Make sure the foam gasket is thick enough to allow for maximum engine torquing, which really isn't too much movement.
[/body]
I like that idea soldier! i was actually thinking of mounting the the foam gasket to the intake funnel itself

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 187sks
[body]
Originally posted by indefactorX
[body]
i was actually thinking of mounting the the foam gasket to the intake funnel itself
[/body]

Having trouble visualizing what you mean...
[/body]
the part that meets the hood of the car will have the foam on it, same concept either way, anyways i imagine with this set up i'll have quite a few pounds of boost from the ram air at high speeds, would it be a wise idea to buy a BOV because this is going to be forced ram air and not passive ram air and at high speeds with a big wrx hood scoop, who knows what kind of PSI's i could be pushing (i have no idea) o_O

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
You don't need a BOV, you won't have even 1PSI boost. Maybe 1/2 PSI. At 180mph a dragster with a huge scoop gets under 2 pounds of boost. This is basically a fancy cold air intake. Expect 5-10 HP over stock depending on how well it's made and how things fit together. This is better than a regular CAI, but not into boost territory.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well thats good to know ^_^ i don't wana end up having to run larger injectors just because i have a functional hood scoop

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hood scoop is on now, it looks seksy just needs to be painted and molded in now

·
Registered
453 Posts
on the WRC accent, they just have a hole(no scoop) over where our intakes are (on the WRC I dont think it's anything like our motors) and another scoop over the center of the hood. I know you've already mounted your scoop but has anyone else tried just putting a hood scoop near the intake. for example just over and in front of the filter on a short ram intake....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i decide not to mount mold this in i may just get one of those Datsun hood scoops off there older cars and mount the scoop off to the side and feed a pipe directly from that into the TB

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea, the filter is going to be an inline filter, as far as water, if it begins to rain i'll simply detach the the ram air unit (which will be fibreglass molded and coupled to the TB) and reinstall the short ram intake currently on the car... A whole 2 minute procedure, and since the hood scoop will still be there, i will still get cold air flowing onto the shortram air filter

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NACA-Scoops-Inlet-Ram-Air-Outside-Air-Aircraft-or-Car_W0QQitemZ4581613757QQcategoryZ26439QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps these will look ok on the car...

If i can figure out where to get these for a good price

1 - 20 of 27 Posts