Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...my new engine!!! Its off a 99 Elantra and it has bout 70k miles on it! Wilbur and myself picked it up monday nite (it was supposed to be done sunday) cuz when they put the engine in and got everything hooked up they found out it had an oil leak coming from the oil pan gasket which I guess is pretty common on the Elantra engine!?!? Anyways, picked it up and they're like well it doesnt leak oil anymore but its running really rough! Turned the key over Wilbure listened to it told me to pop the hood and he fiddled with the MAF and the noise stopped!! Cause it had been sitting there at the junkyard for awhile the HLAs were kinda loud, but after driving it for a day its so quiet now, my idle is once again smooth!!! I am sooo excited!!! Except yesterday (tuesday) I go to leave for work in the morning and it starts to run really jerky (didnt get more than two blocks away from my apartment) so I decided to turn around go back home, you see after the oil leak they couldnt get the CEL to turn off and yesterday when I went to go to work the CEL stayed on but when it was jerking it would flash on an off! So once again Wilbur came to my rescue and come to find out one of the fuel injector clips was not plugged in all the way!!!:( So we plugged it in and it ran fine (CEL still on) we take it to Schucks to scan it and just because of one injector clip it was throwing 6 other codes so we cleared them, put sum Seafoam in and it runs sooo much better!!! I love it!!! I do have a slight exhaust leak I guess which doesnt surprise me (that car has had like 10)!! But now I really need to make it up to Wilbur for rescuing me once again!! Any ideas, maybe dinner dont know!!! LOL!!! Im just happy to have my car, and I actually made it to work today even with an extra 300lb from my old engine!!! Wilbur is taking mine and were gonna rebuild it and put it in his Elantra! Im sure he is excited!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still cant go very fast since it has that extra weight in the back, everytime I try to accelerate too fast or even shifting the front in kinda gets up and drifts back and forth a lil from side to side cuz the front tires aren't gripping as well LOL!!!:D :D :rolleyes:

Oh well that will be resolved today cuz Im goin to Wilburs after work to give him the engine and see him for the nite!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure about Wilbur but I tend to work for meals and BEEEEEEEEER. I'd rather get a case of beer instead of the cash equivalent. Unless of course I'm broke as hell and can't pay rent....turns out the landlord isnt into bartering with alcohol :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah not sure bout the beer...I know at least for myself I have seen enough alcohol this past weekend to last me several weeks...Im pretty sure I may have been drunk at 187sks's place all weekend, I dont remember much but I do kno I climbed into a shopping cart at Home Depot and Walmart and got pushed around the whole time...other than that dont remember, besides I dont believe he likes beer, I know he likes Vodka!! LOL!! Maybe sum of that!:D Or a big kiss!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I drank too much this weekend too. I threw up.:( :eek:

1/2 bottle of wine, 1/2 gallon growler of Dead Guy Ale, and that's the recipe to me puking my guts out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that was short lived!!! My car is in the shop again!! Wilbur and I went driving in it after we unloaded the engine and we were getting off the freeway and it up and dies and makes this awful noise! We drove it probably less than a minute to a parking lot to check the oil cuz he thought it sounded like it was low...sure enough it was, the guys that worked on my car must've only put 1qt in cuz it was dry!! So Im laying face down on the wet ground checking to see if there is any oil leaks, cant find any! So we start the car some more and get it to rev at about 2500rpms cuz thats the only time it will make this sound, its still making this awful clunky, grinding noise which we did this for about another minute to try and determine what it was! And all of a sudden hes like "I know this sound, the flywheel is loose!!" The idiots never tightened my flywheel down to where it needed to be!! :mad: I dont think we had it running long enough to do any damage to the crankshaft and whatnot but what do you guys think????:confused:

I am definately getting reimbursed for this by them, its bs!! My car is in the Tacoma/Fir Crest area being worked on at a shop because of this and I have to drive Wilburs Elantra, which I dont mind, but I just want my car!!!:mad:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Damn. This whole project has been cursed for you. Too bad we didn't just do it in my garage. Would have been better off by this point.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your telling me!! So do you think it caused too much damage to the crankshaft and everything else? Like I said we only had it goin like that for two min off and on!?!? Im hoping it will be done today! The place we went to we went to throw the key thru the dropbox into the office/lobby area of the place and my key was the only one on the floor and there were a couple cars outside with tags already on them which Wilbur told me was that they were either waiting for parts or payments! i guess he really trusts this place and he has been there several times! And from what I got from him explaining it to me was that all they had to do was drop the tranny and reattach the flywheel!?!? So hopefully it didnt do enough damage, Im also gonna have them check for any oil leaks considering I ran outta oil and I have no clue how much they put in in the first place, I couldnt see any when I was lying on my stomach on the wet ground plus they're gonna possibly do my alignment cuz mine is horrible it pulls so much!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Damn that's shitty - its one thing to have that kind of stuff happen when you're DIY like my story (posted somehwere about my old excel) but from a shop? So disappointing!!! Having that guy up and say "oh its the flywheel" should REALLY help your case to get refund and all of that since he obviously and quite quickly identified it as something that there's no way you could have tampered with after leaving the lot....

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D Exactly and the fact that in order to get to the flywheel you have to take off the tranny! And I know they took off the tranny as well cuz the new engine was from an automatic Elantra so they had to attach my flywheel and so on! An I sure as hell kno Im not taking off a tranny by myself so it wasn't me!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK NOW IM PISSED...THE SHOP DETERMINED THE ENGINGE WAS BAD!!! MY CAR IS UNDRIVEABLE!!! SO NOW WE HAVE TO CALL THE JUNKYARD AND TELL THEM THEY SOLD ME A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT THAT THEY SAID WAS GOOD AND CALL THE PLACE THAT PUT THE ENGINE IN, WELL ACTUALLY I DONT THINK I CAN GET ANYTHING FROM THEM!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT IF THEY DONT FIX IT (THE JUNKYARD) I AM TAKING THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT!!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rod bushings are gone I guess and when they drained the oil they found it to be full of metal! I know I already told you this 187 but for everyone else!! So now Im gonna have Roy Y give me my money back and I mite end up getting a 1.8L in it instead...hopefully they will do it free of charge!:mad:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I would push for them to do the install (Roy Y) for free also since you already paid another shop to do it. I don't know if you'll get far with that, that's why I would have had them do the swap in the first place personally. Hindsight's 20/20 like they say.

Once again, I'm sorry. :(

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If it comes to that we can do whatever needs done in my garage. I don't know if you want to do it that way, but the offer's there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wilbur and his friend are goin to pick it up rite now to bring it to Roy Y! I guess the shop never actually looked at the flywheel all they did was take the oil pan out so theres still a possibility the engine is good and it was the flywheel but I dont if that could cause metal to be in the oilpan! Can it cause that????

If it is the engine Im going to push that they replace it for free if not since they sold me a defective problem and they had to have known bout it I think Im going to take them to court! Also if its the flywheel, since that was caused by who swapped the engine, I am gonna push that they pay for that as well!

I hate that I always end up having to learn the hard way!! I love Wilbur so much, I think were good together, in situations like that I always freak but he stayed so calm and made me laugh and today he pretty much did all the arrangements and planning so I wouldnt stress plus hes gonna let me use his car til I get mine back! Hes great!!!:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If the flywheel was loose it could have caused the engine to eat away the main bearings but besides that it couldn't contribute to metal shavings in the oil pan.

Glad you've got Wilbur there to keep you sane! HIGH FIVE! LOL!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts