Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was driving down the road. stopped. first gear. snap! That’s what happens when you drive agressively… stuff breaks. and unfortunately for me it left me stranded (for about 10 minutes). Luckily I was only like 2 miles from my house and I got a tow from my brother. It looks to have snapped clean and doesn’t look like it’s because of my welds on it. Lucky for me I had a spare. And I was back up and running in time to get to Hooters at 11AM for lunch. hehe.
Here are some pics. Enjoy.

This is the shape the clamp was in when i took it off.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
what a coincidence!!

my driver side cv boot went out today spilling all the grease on the suspension and the wheels which triggered a shaking steering wheel..brake parts cleaner time!!

but the good thing is it's a snap to replace and they're cheap,

·
Registered
492 Posts
congrats on the busted cv......just kidding,suck but at least its an easier fix then replacing the tranny

·
Registered
499 Posts
If that was a shortened axle could the problem be due to the sharper angle it makes with the hub?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
86stellar said:
congrats on the busted cv......just kidding,suck but at least its an easier fix then replacing the tranny
amen to that. i almost shat myself when i just sat there when i launched and it sounded like a piston rod broke or something. can you imagin the sound that would make with the shaft not moving and the joint spinning at 30mph. yea SCARRY! not to mention i had cars pilin up behind me like always when i break down.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rocconi said:
If that was a shortened axle could the problem be due to the sharper angle it makes with the hub?
no cuz its not really any sharper of an angle. these things can go like 45 degrees (pure guestimate) almost so with it being shortened id say its maybe at 1 degree more of an angle than stock. (guessing again)

·
Registered
492 Posts
i had the cv shaft pop out of my tranny about a month ago. the cv clip was **** so it let the shaft pop out. but as it popped out it bent the splines. cost me a new cv and it had to be one from a dodge colt because they had no elantra ones.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
86stellar said:
i had the cv shaft pop out of my tranny about a month ago. the cv clip was **** so it let the shaft pop out. but as it popped out it bent the splines. cost me a new cv and it had to be one from a dodge colt because they had no elantra ones.
i had that happen on the other side about a month ago too. haha. 2 days in a row it happened on the way to school. the first day i was able to pop it back in on the side of the road. on the second day i had no such luck and ended up getting a new axle. the 1.8L elantra automatic passenger side axle

·
Registered
492 Posts
nice, whatever gets the job done

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
what axle is that (looks like driver side) and how much do you need to shorten the axle? I found that you can loose 1/2 an inch using an 1.6L auto tranny axle for the driver side.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DREROB said:
what axle is that (looks like driver side) and how much do you need to shorten the axle? I found that you can loose 1/2 an inch using an 1.6L auto tranny axle for the driver side.
you're kidding me?!/ thats the stock 1.6L manual axle. cut about 1/2-3/4" so the 1.6L auto axle is 1/2" shorter huh? i will have to aquire one.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
When I compared my 1.5L manual axle to the 1.6L auto axle the overall lengths were the same. Were the differance comes in is the portion that inserts into the tranny. The 1.6L auto axle is 1/2 inch longer in that area so when you insert it into the tranny it's like shortening the axle by 1/2 inch. I have been using that axle for about a year now and it cured my axle binding issue I was having on hard right hand turns and the 1/2 inch longer portion that goes into the tranny does not seem to affect my beta tranny.

·
Registered
864 Posts
how much power can the 1.6 axels hold??

so let me get this straight...use the 1.6 auto axel for the driverside and the 1.8l beta axel on the passenger side?? :confused:

has anybody sent an axel out to somebody to have it done professionally?

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Spikie's Jetta lost it's marbles by making a sharp left turn and gas down to the floor. At least these axles pop in, not like the **** VW ones that are held in with SIX hex bolts... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have no idea how much power it can hold but it is the same thickness as the 1.8L auto axle that I am using. This swap is a beta 2 with tranny in an LC. Using 1.5L tranny mounts that are slotted 1/4 inch to allow the motor to slide towards the left (driver) side and give me some room to replace belts.
ONLY1DB said:
how much power can the 1.6 axels hold??

so let me get this straight...use the 1.6 auto axel for the driverside and the 1.8l beta axel on the passenger side?? :confused:

has anybody sent an axel out to somebody to have it done professionally?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ONLY1DB said:
^how many times are you replacing belts??
doesn't really matter. if your motor is up against your sidewall you cant change belts.

i have almost an identical setup except that i am using a shortened 1.6 Manual drivers side axle and 1.8L auto passenger axle. but i think i may try the 1.6auto driver side next time i need one.

·
Registered
864 Posts
all you have to do is take the motor mount off and lift from the oil pan with a jack...gives all the access you need...granted it would be a little tight....

try doing a timing belt on an XG350...you'll know what i mean about tight.;)

now are these rebuilt axles??? or junkyard axels??

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ONLY1DB said:
all you have to do is take the motor mount off and lift from the oil pan with a jack...gives all the access you need...granted it would be a little tight....

try doing a timing belt on an XG350...you'll know what i mean about tight.;)

now are these rebuilt axles??? or junkyard axels??
my passenger side is a rebuilt and my driverside right now is a junkyard one that i shortened.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good job not missing lunch at hooters :)

How many miles did you have on the axle with your aggressive driving before it broke?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts