Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Hyundai Elantra GLS with a 1.8 liter engine and automatic transmission. My car has 113,800 miles on it. When the engine is cold the car has a hard time down shifting into first when I come to a stop. The problem is so pronounced that the car has choked down and stopped the engine from running several times. The car starts right back up again but continues with this problem until the car warms up. My car also has problems engaging into first gear when the engine is cold. The engine will rev up and then engage into to first with a slight jerk. After the car warms up to operating temperature these problems go away and the car starts off in and downs shifts into first gear properly. Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the transmission fluid about a month ago. The car was behaving like this before I changed the fluid.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It may be the torque converter (likely). Ask a dealer to keep it overnight and test it while the car is cold and check for codes. It is possible there could be some there. The only thing other than the torque converter is the lockup on the torque converter is getting signals to lock up too soon. It is also possible the pump in the tranny is going out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My first car, a caviler used to do stuff like that. Turns out it was the torque lockup locking everything up and stalling things out. <.< They disabled it and it worked just fine after. Got worse gas milage, but worked fine. ^,^;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts