Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, well. Im busy turboing a Scoupe LS motor for a friend of mine....

and we have been comparing conrod's and what i can tell you is that the 1300 accent has STRONGER conrods than that off the Scoupe GT which in fact was a Turbo motor.

1300 accent conrod, i will post pics with part numbers. the 1300/1500 conrod is thicker in EVERY dimension than that of the GT conrod. Why would Hyundai put a "Thinner(Weaker)" conrod into there Most powerfull Alpha engine? Well the Lighter the conrod the quicker the engine will rev up, its a common upgrade on a N/A car to go for lighter conrods but on a Turbo Engine you need STREGNTH.Im not saying the GT conrod is crap cos mine is handling 400nm (but for how long is anyones guess)

Will post pics comapring a GT conrod to a LS conrod and 1300/1500 conrod.

But makes you think doesnt it...

·
Registered
435 Posts
might not be the same metal chief or differant casting techniques... who knows

·
Registered
686 Posts
thats a badass accent, especially since its the 1.5L

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^^^

"well, this will surprise you, but the only expensive part is a new SDS computer system, used 550cc siemens injectors, a used to3 turbo from a ford mustang svo or mercur xr4ti.. 60-.63, custom intake manifold with ford mustang 60mm throttle, custom exhaust manifold, 255 lph in-tank fuel pump, stock fuel regulator and fuel rail, custom camshaft sprocket, phantom grip lsd, stock accent transmision, hyundai scoupe turbo pistons and flywheel, stock rods, stock cam, slight head port, Act clutch (the Scoupe flywheel uses a bigger 215mm clutch), spearco intercooler 12x8 core rated at 470hp, 3" full exhaust. around US $3000"

from here:
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/f...discussion/42496-1-5-sohc-turbo-kit-12-a.html

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know hey,

As per the hyundai release of the scoupe they say the scoupe has steel connecting rods(they do not differuentate between the LS and the GT rod but hyundai has x2 unique product listings for the Hyundai scoupes conrods and the Ls and GT model numbers that i have do NOT corresponde. But the metal looks the same and i dont think hyundai would of put in SPECIAL FORGED RODS, cos hyundai is all about going on the cheap, they didnt even offer a intercooler or a oil cooler with the GT and only gave it a 6 month warrenty..

My mate is running 1.2 bars on his 1500 accent turbo for 2 years so i really dont think the stock accent rods are ****. how ever i have seen x2 scoupe GT's with conrod failure and if you compare the GT rods to that of a St or BT or 4agze motor our conrods look like tooth pics....

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey can you give me some more info about your friends set up in his accent?i am interested in his set up cause i have a custom turboed accent and any info would be very usefull.thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greetings! I have Scoupe LS, and recently bought totaled Scoupe GT. I am planing to rebuild turbo engine and swap it into LS. So you say that connecting rods are thiner than accents... Would than accents conrods fit in Scoupe engine plug´n play? If they are stronger as you say I will put them in...

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Greetings! I have Scoupe LS, and recently bought totaled Scoupe GT. I am planing to rebuild turbo engine and swap it into LS. So you say that connecting rods are thiner than accents... Would than accents conrods fit in Scoupe engine plug´n play? If they are stronger as you say I will put them in...
Hey guy, the only data that i have for you is that the Hyundai Accent 1300/1500 Conrod IS THICKER THERFORE Theroritically stronger then that of the Scoupe GT, I currently rebuild my Turbo engine with LS rods and off the top of my head they looked the same if not thinner than that of the GT :mad: I was in a rush to get my engine back together so i did not do the proper measurements as i will not be BOOSTING these engine anywhere near as high as the previous engine.

At present im using stock rods with a Modified Nissan Exa turbo piston(76mm Bore) with 2.5mm skimmed of the top of the piston then pocket/valve seat's cut, despite so much being skimmed off the top of the piston these pistons are still rock solid.

might not be the same metal chief or differant casting techniques... who knows
at present there is Nothing to suggest that the GT came with a Superior conrod to that of the LS, i know hyundai have x2 diffent product ID''s for this the "Scoupe" for con rods as per wikipedia all it says that both models recieved "Steel Connecting rods"

What i am looking at is maybee using a 1600/1800 Elantra conrod, i know they will fit the Alpha crank im must just check how much thicker the 1600/1800 conrod is to that of the 1500 (cos either way im using N/A rods so the thicker the better) this conrod is 1.5mm longer to that of the Accent but then i can use a Nissan Almera Piston which sit's exactly 1mm lower than my Modified Nissan Exa's piston so if it does stick .5mm above deck height that can be skimmed off or the rod can be made .5mm shorter so i wouldnt have to take .5mm offf the pistons.

Alpha 1.5

The G4EK is a 1.5 L engine. The SOHC The first Alpha engine was introduced in 1993 in the Hyundai Scoupe and lasted through 2002. Alphas were produced in 1.3 L (1341 cc) and 1.5 L (1495 cc) versions, with a 1.6 L Alpha II produced later. The 1.5 came first, with a 75.5 mm bore and 83.5 mm stroke. The 1.3 was de-bored to 71.5 mm bore.

Beta

The G4GR (also called the 1.6 D) is a 1.6 L (1599 cc) DOHC engine. Output is 116 hp (85 kW) at 6000 rpm and 106 ft·lbf (143 Nm) at 4900 rpm. The engine's bore is 77.4 mm and its stroke is 85 mm.
[edit] 1.8

The G4GM (also called the 1.8 D) is a 1.8 L (1795 cc) DOHC engine with a larger 82 mm bore. Output that means the rods are teh same only the bore is differentis up to 130 hp (96 kW) at 6000 rpm and 126 foot-pounds force (171 N·m) of torque (170 Nm) at 4200 rpm.

Im also looking at H-Beam Conrods that VERY strong and resonable priced. at present they dont stock anything for hyundai but maybee i can find a compatible..

·
Registered
311 Posts
It would be great if you found a stronger rod for alphas that would be really cheap!

However, just because two engines share the same STROKE does not at all mean in the slightest that the rods are the same length! You may find that the beta block is substantially taller, and so is the rod!(great if there's a suitable piston though)

With the alphas, the stock 1500 rods can take 150+hp no dramas as long as you stay below 6500rpm. There are plenty of stock rodded sohc excels/accents here in australia making 150+ on stock internals and a few DOHC cars making more than that. I will have my 2006 1.6DOHC engined 2001 accent turbo'd soon, and it will easily make 140hp at the engine.

One guy here using a decompression head gasket ran 14psi for years on stock internals with 140hp at the WHEELS(so maybe 180 at the flywheel)...

It is really only the pistons that are a problem with alpha engines, so a cheap, strong and slightly reduced compression piston would suit 95% of those who turbo an alpha.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be great if you found a stronger rod for alphas that would be really cheap!

However, just because two engines share the same STROKE does not at all mean in the slightest that the rods are the same length! You may find that the beta block is substantially taller, and so is the rod!(great if there's a suitable piston though)

With the alphas, the stock 1500 rods can take 150+hp no dramas as long as you stay below 6500rpm. There are plenty of stock rodded sohc excels/accents here in australia making 150+ on stock internals and a few DOHC cars making more than that. I will have my 2006 1.6DOHC engined 2001 accent turbo'd soon, and it will easily make 140hp at the engine.

One guy here using a decompression head gasket ran 14psi for years on stock internals with 140hp at the WHEELS(so maybe 180 at the flywheel)...

It is really only the pistons that are a problem with alpha engines, so a cheap, strong and slightly reduced compression piston would suit 95% of those who turbo an alpha.

Hey guy, My Persuit for a "Better Conrod" is because i was using GT conrod and they only lasted 10 000km @ 270hp. and now im forced to use N/A conrods. 2nd hand Conrod cost $15 here while we are swopping and skimming pistons why not have a look, the idea is to have a stronger rod with less of the pissed skimmed off so a stonger rod and piston can be obtained only meaning gewd things.

i did a Quick measurement and the 1800 conrod appears to be .9 mm longer and is defiantly thicker around MOST parts. but what is going to make this work is the Type of pistons that we will be using....

1500 rod vs 1800 rod

Will get my Wernier and a Almera piston then will give some proper measure ments....

Most of the engineering firms i spoke to also told me if you stay below 6500rpm. you wont have a problem with the stock conrods.

The EXA Turbo piston is a perfect piston for this. it is a very well made and desiged piston with a good bowl depth, and is tried and test in my country. there are many cars with these pistons namely A14 Nissan (1400cc) putting there cars into the 10's already with these pistons. im the 2nd hyundai 1500cc to make 200kw on these pistons...

The reason we are not using the Official Scoupe GT after market piston is cause they all designed like this and this is fundemental a weaker constructed pistons.. If they were the Exact design as the OEM GT pistons i would not of botherd with a custom piston...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Where are those pistons available? They must be forged im assuming? I made 195whp 220torque on just scoupe turbo pistons (stock cast iron) and a shot peened rods (accent 1.5). Daily driven and beaten on until the turbo blew (was way to small ran with the wastegate line pulled @ 22psi).

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where are those pistons available? They must be forged im assuming? I made 195whp 220torque on just scoupe turbo pistons (stock cast iron) and a shot peened rods (accent 1.5). Daily driven and beaten on until the turbo blew (was way to small ran with the wastegate line pulled @ 22psi).
No they are all cast piston's. i looked into shot peening of the rods and they said if i saty below 6500rpm the stock rods would be fine, and also they said if i get the rods shot peened i will also need to get them magnafluxed and crack tested and it would probably be cheaper for me to by a H-Beam rod. Namely the CR23 which is a Nissan CA 18 fordged Rod

Part no. Lenght (c/c) Big end Small end Bolt.
MRT-CR23 133 mm 48 mm 20 mm 3/8

MRT-CR23 H-Beam Connecting Rods Feature:

My last resort to getting the 1800 rods to work will be a spacer plate that i can get customed made quick and easy by CUSTOM GASKET by Redline Engineering, this will no doubt increase the stroke.. maybee i woulkd be better off Boosting a 2000cc Beta with less bost..

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If I could do it again i would do it with a 2.0, beta swaps just werent popular at all when i built my 1.5. I switched to the beta 1 ecu which redlines a little bit higher than the stock 1.5 ecu, i cant remember exactly where though. I had to shift before 6000rpm anyway b/c my turbo couldnt hang. I think it redlined around 6350-6450 (as high as we should take the little 1.5 imo).

·
Registered
2 Posts
if anybody wants the files for repairing i have them in pdf format if you want a copy let me know also if anyone is looking to turbocharge/supercharge or otherwise boost their engine as i did my car and cracked pistons here is some info on pistons and rods that i found

pistons
standard 75.5mm bore
compression height 31.3mm
total length 53.3mm
valve cutout depth 3.74mm
pin diameter 18mm

rods
center/center conrod length 131mm
big end diameter 48mm
big end width 23mm
little end width 14.7mm
with that i found the installed length to be 162.3mm

so i looked at conrods and pistons and found

the honda B16 series engine has
conrod c/c 134.7 and little end of 21mm with some bushing the honda D15z1 and z2 with their 27.7mm comp height gives 162.4mm installed height 0.1mm over

the Nissan CA18DET rods are 133mm c/c with 20mm little end the vitara pistons for the d16y8 with their 29.5mm comp height gives an installed height of 162.5mm 0.2mm over and they are turbo rods

all the pistons i have been looking at have 19mm pins and all the rods have 48mm big ends
i am going to look at honing the standard rods out to 19mm as even with the D16z6 pistons i am only 1mm down the bore and standard compression is 10.5to1

so for everyone that is what i have found through looking at lots of piston and rod catalogs i did find one odd one a peugeot 106gti rod but that is 48.66mm in the big end bearings may be a problem maybe someone might want to have a look at some bearing catalogs or send me some links to some of them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, well. Im busy turboing a Scoupe LS motor for a friend of mine....

and we have been comparing conrod's and what i can tell you is that the 1300 accent has STRONGER conrods than that off the Scoupe GT which in fact was a Turbo motor.

1300 accent conrod, i will post pics with part numbers. the 1300/1500 conrod is thicker in EVERY dimension than that of the GT conrod. Why would Hyundai put a "Thinner(Weaker)" conrod into there Most powerfull Alpha engine? Well the Lighter the conrod the quicker the engine will rev up, its a common upgrade on a N/A car to go for lighter conrods but on a Turbo Engine you need STREGNTH.Im not saying the GT conrod is crap cos mine is handling 400nm (but for how long is anyones guess)

Will post pics comapring a GT conrod to a LS conrod and 1300/1500 conrod.

But makes you think doesnt it...
Hi you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts