Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
*cringe*

If you really don't know how to do it, it's kinda hard and a little dangerous doing it for your first time. Bleeding the brakes requires 2 people unless you've got a nice bleeder valve in place for a gravity feed. Grab a friend who knows what he/she's doing. It's fairly simple once you do it the first time, but if you make a mistake, it's kinda bad...

Howie~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bleed brakes? i think we have our wires crossed lol

i want to know how to remove the discs/rotors
i have some mechanical knowledge. i worked in a garage for 5 years but that was over 13 years ago now:eek:

i found this on another site but its for a 1995 accent. i assume it will be the same for my 1998 mvi model?

Answer
The rotors bolt onto the back side of the wheel hub. You cannot remove them without removing the wheel hub itself. You'll need either a wheel hub puller or a slide hammer with a wheel hub adaptor to get the wheel hub off.

To replace a rotor:
1. Block the rear wheels.
2. Jack the front wheel in question.
3. Remove the wheel.
4. Unbolt the caliper from the knuckle.
5. Remove the cotter pin from the axle nut.
6. Remove the axle nut and washer.
7. Remove the wheel hub.
8. Remove the rotor from the wheel hub.
9. Bolt the new rotor onto the wheel hub.
10. Reinstall the wheel hub, using the axle nut to draw it into the bearing.
11. Remove the axle nut, and install the washer and axle nut.
12. Install a new cotter pin in the axle nut.
13. Reattach the caliper.
14. Reinstall the wheel.
15. Lower the vehicle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup ... that's it.
Just be careful when you pull the hub so you don't damage the bearings.
Also, when you put the hub back in, make sure to torque it properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks
do you happen to know the torque settings by any chance?

when i first seen this setup i thought i would have to take the knuckle of the car and do it in a vice.
hopefully i will be able to do it now on the car:eek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
You might need to rent/borrow a hub puller slide hammer.
That's what you need to be careful with ... make sure you pull it straight.

Log on to hmaservice.com
register yourself, then you can find out a lot about your car.

I'm not sure of the torque settings, but they'll be on hma ...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the subject of bleeding the brakes, sometimes it may be necessary to do this during a disk / pad replacement, because the brake pistons need to be pushed in to accommodate the new rotors and shoes. New ones have more width than old worn ones. When I did my own Hyundai, though, I found I could move the piston without letting off any brake fluid. I followed this rough guide for my Hyundai. It's not an MVI but the general methodology should be similar.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I always open the bleeder valve before I push a brake piston in. The fluid in the calipers gets contaminated with moisture and should not be pushed back into the system. Brake bleeding is an easy one man job if you close the bleeder valve just tight enough to almost seal the system. Fluid will exit when you push hard on the brake but it will reseal when you release and not let the air enter. After the caliper is refilled it only takes 4 or 5 pumps to feel the pedal firm up. Then you must tighten the bleeder valve the proper amount. A clear hose attached to the valve and a catch bucket mounted above the bleeder valve helps a lot and keeps the air out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts