Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my brake system from my OE LC2 setup.

Now I'm looking at the Tiburon/ Elantra front brakes and had a few questions:

1. Do the Tiburon/ Elantra rotors have the same offset as the LC/LC2?

2. what about calipers, would the Tiburon/ Elantra Calipers bolt up?

3. Since I'm not really going for a huge brake swap and would prefer it to be an easy one and don't really care about the 5 lug pattern (plan to have rotors redrilled to fit 4x100) Could I just get Rotors, calipers, caliper holders off any Tiburon/Elantra?

4. Would Tiburon/Elantra stainless steel brake lines fit the LC/LC2?

Any advise you could give me would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think you have to change everything from the hub and stuff like that. Sorry if im not a big help. Its prolly going to cost pretty hefty. Ever thought about just doing a rear brake conversion?

·
Registered
492 Posts
go to the wreckers and take measurements, might even be able to get the whole spindle assembles for cheap

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you redrill you Tibby rotors to 4x100 then if you buy 2001 Tibby Rotors and calipers/pads it will bolt all together on your stock spindle.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
berserko said:
If you redrill you Tibby rotors to 4x100 then if you buy 2001 Tibby Rotors and calipers/pads it will bolt all together on your stock spindle.
SO get 2001 Tib Rotors, calipers and pads and have the rotors redrilled to 4x100 and it will all bolt on no problem? Nice.

·
Registered
492 Posts
sounds like a very good solution

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question I have: would swaping a master cylinder from say a 2000 elantra/Tib help with a rear disk brake setup? would it improve over all braking on an LC2?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tibby Front Brakes on LC

I completed a front brake conversion on my '01 Accent GSi last fall and used the following:

Tibby/Elantra front knuckle (up to '01)
Tibby/Elantra dust shield (up to '01)
Tibby/Elantra front calipers (up ot '01)
LC front spindle
Kia Sephia front rotor (must be 2001)
Custom 1mm spacer to sit between rotor and spindle

Everything bolts together with OEM fasteners but requires front end alignment as Tibby/Elantra knuckle installed in the LC has too much toe out.

Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tibby Front Brakes on LC

Snall addendum.

I forgot to mention that I used the OEM front spindle off the LC.

Also, I compared the front master cylinders of the LC and the RD Tibby and they are dimensionally identical. The difference in braking is the booster - the LC has a 4:1 boost ratio while the Tibby has a 6:1 ration. BTW, the Elantra has a 4.5:1 ratio.

I plan to put a Tibby booster in my LC. It should bolt onto the firewall and the LC M/C should bolt to it. However, the push rod is shorter on the Tibby than the LC, so I simply cut off a push rod from an LC booster and welded it onto the Tibby rod (had to extend by about 10mm if I remeber correctly).

Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snall addendum.

Also, I compared the front master cylinders of the LC and the RD Tibby and they are dimensionally identical. The difference in braking is the booster - the LC has a 4:1 boost ratio while the Tibby has a 6:1 ration. BTW, the Elantra has a 4.5:1 ratio.

I plan to put a Tibby booster in my LC. It should bolt onto the firewall and the LC M/C should bolt to it. However, the push rod is shorter on the Tibby than the LC, so I simply cut off a push rod from an LC booster and welded it onto the Tibby rod (had to extend by about 10mm if I remeber correctly).

Cheers
Bill

What year should I look for? 01? could AN 03-06 WORK?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
^^^Those year tibs are different^^^

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which Tibby M/C

I'm not sure if '03+ Tibby brake m/c would work as I don't have access to any to check out. I know '01 and earlier should work as my wife has a '97 (and I'm building up a '00 for her) and there are several RD Tibby's in local yards (where I sourced my parts).

Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was refering to the Brake Booster. What year should I use for the brake booster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tibby Brake Booster

Sorry about that. However, same answer, I've not had a '03 or newer Tibby booster to compare with older RD's or LC's. As I stated earlier, it looks like the RD booster will fit with the noted push rod extension.

Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I got some RD Tib Rotors and calipers on there way...YOU SURE they fit bolt right in? Im going soley on your word with this. yes I will be getting the rotors redrilled to 4x100...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want to check, Im getting the rotors redrilled, still not sure if this will work.
Ok, I got some RD Tib Rotors and calipers on there way...YOU SURE they fit bolt right in? Im going soley on your word with this. yes I will be getting the rotors redrilled to 4x100...

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, what is this? I see pictures (blue print) of rotors but yet agin my question is not answered. this is my reasearching into it. asking people who have done it. Im not sitting at the comp waiting for an answer i am looking at pictures getting other info and measurments but what you sent means nothing to me I cant tell what thats saying down there. Thanks for trying to help though.

I just hate asking the same question over and over and then someone sends me an "IDK :confused:". Looks like Im going to ust have to do It and if it works HEY I DID it! If not well there goes $70...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Fintile, this may be too little too late, but I've been doing some research of my own and think I've stumbled across something:

http://www.rawauto.com/Images1/MI-358.jpg

If you compare the measurements of this rotor (Eurorotor part # MI-358, off of a Mitsubishi Lancer) they are almost identical to a rotor from a tib or elantra yet come with a 4x100mm bolt pattern, eliminating the need to get the rotors re-drilled. Also the center hole (64mm) is much closer to the LC's (63mm).

Another option I've come across in my research is a part from DBA (Disc Brakes Australia). While I haven't found anything in their North American catalogue, I did come across something in their Australian catalogue. DBA part # DBA414 (off of something called a Proton Satria or Wira or something...) seems to have identical specifications to the eurorotor I mentioned above and is also available as a slotted rotor by part #'s DBA414SL and DBA414SR. I have yet to verify if they have a 4x100 bolt pattern or if they are available to North American Dealers or if direct purchase from Australia is required. By the way, if you're considering swapping rear drums to discs, DBA part # DBA410 (also from a Proton) seem to be a nice fit for the rears, again assuming they have a 4x100 bolt pattern. These are also available as slotted rotors through part #'s DBA410SL and DBA410SR.

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT TRIED ANY OF THIS ON AN ACTUAL CAR YET. USE THIS INFO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Snall addendum.

Cheers
Bill
why not then just use the RD master and booster combo??? and bolt it in in place of the LC item???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts