·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

Little quickie:
2000 accent GSi
nothing special on it.

I had a nasty run in with a curb recently and it pushed my right front tire back into my quarter panel. I've replaced the lower control arm and sway bar link to get the tire back into the right spot, but have a nasty crumple in the quarter panel. I'm going to tackle my first ever body work job this weekend. Any tips on pulling off the panel? and smoothing it out? I kinda need to do this soon as my passenger door rubs on the panel now when opening the door... I've got a nice garage to work in with just about any tool you'd ever need. so I'm set that way. I'm just looking for some tips to help me out.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would recomend that you leave the fender on the car, because it would be hard to make sure you follow the contour of the car if you work on the fender with it off the car. If you haven't done body work before this could be interesting. I can't really give any imput without seeing it for myself. So as far as tips go: sand it down to primer before putting filler on, and always let stuff dry before you go to the next step. Have you ever seen those cars with the bubbles or deep looking cracks in the paint? let stuff dry completely:) good luck

·
Registered
492 Posts
body filler has to be on bare metal to stick properly, might be easier to get another fender from the wreckers get it painted and install it yourself, cant really say without pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I managed to get it straightened out with it still on the car, I just had to pull out the wheel well cover to get access to the back side of the fender. couple hours in the shop and she's as good as new. minor paint damage, but that will be looked after next weekend. I've got access to a media blaster so I'll be repainting the entire panel.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts