Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol so now that I got your attention. . . .

96 hyundai accent 5spd (elentra tranny)

Now that the colder weather is here I have noticed that upon a cold startup the clutch seems to drag. What I meen is that when the clutch is not pressed there is a slight "chchchchchch" noise that disapears once the clutch is pressed. Note: this only happens when it is around -10 degrees. Also once the car has been driven for a bit the noise disapears (i.e. once the car has warmed up). I belive it is water vapour condencing on the warm clutch after the car has been driven, then freezing once it cools down.

So to my question:
1) Has anyone else noticed something similar?
2) Is this normal?
3) Should I be worried about an up-comming large repair bill?

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I had my accent, I would usually pump the clutch a few times before startup. It gets the fluid moving a warmed up. Mine used to shift funny on a cold tranny sometimes. It only happened for the first couple shifts though. My bmw does the same thing when its bone cold.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a Mitsubishi truck that did that and it went through 2 sets of transmission bearings in 100K miles. I suspect that your transmission oil is too thick at low temperatures and the bearings are starving for oil since they are lubricated by the oil splashing around. I recommend a synthetic oil like Redline or even ATF fluid if you don't mind a little more gear noise. I would never run standard transmission oil in cold climates.

·
Registered
499 Posts
BTW Pure Redline transmission oil is so slippery that the syncros do not grab as fast as they should slowing down the 1-2 shift. So, you might want to mix it 50-50 with their quick shift product or just use 100% quick shift. I forgot the real name of the product but it makes the shifting faster.

·
Registered
499 Posts
1-2 was slow when new and I felt it was a little slower when I switched to MT-90 after 1K Miles. Stuff like this is very subjective and hard to document scientifically. I am too lazy to order their quick shift formula and put it in my car but I trust RedLine products and am sure that it improves shift times.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
hmmm you'll have to find whatever it is you're talking about cuz there is nothing even close to soundling like that listed on their website. but assuming it is similar to the other type of "quick shift" oils like rp syncromax or pissoil syncromesh i would not put it in a hyundai transmission since that stuff is thin thin thin and our transmissions call for thick thick thick gear oil.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You right, I can't find it either. I don't know if they stopped making the stuff or I just made a mistake.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps I failed to make the problem/issue as clear as it should be.

So I shall rectifiy that, It is most deffinatly not a gear oil issue as the noise too which I am attemping to discride occurs when the car is not moving. Therefore the gears themself are not moving so the are not the source of the problem that I have.

So, On cold startup (car not moving) I hear a "chchchchchchch" noise that fades away when I press the clutch petal, then returns if I let off the clutch. (transmission in netrual).

Any thoughts are appriciated.

P.S. could it possibly be the "throw-out" bearing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm thinking that it may be the release bearing in your clutch. (not sure if that's what you meant by throw-out bearing). I've got a 2000 accent that's making a similar noise. Almost like a squeak that goes away when I press in the clutch. I'm putting up with it till the warmer weather, I'll be throwing in a clutch kit and a new timing belt in the spring. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Klayman78
probably what you're hearing is the piston end (on the outside of the tranny) pushes againgst a "lever" of sorts. Anyway hyundai puts a grease like stuff in between the piston end and the lever end (the only point of contact) this dries up or wears off after while.
My 02 accent needed regreased last year.:)

·
Registered
499 Posts
FYI the gears in a MT are always moving as long as the clutch is not depressed. Neutral just means that the output shaft is not connected to any gear via the syncros.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i seem to have the same problem starting it in the morning for the first time, it feels like the clutch is sticky and it makes a noise at start up but when i put the car in neutral and let the clutch out it goes away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts