Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Elantra GT was running fine this morning the temp was just above freezing, but a few hours later, after the temp lowered below freezing, the left rear brake locked up like as if the parking lever failed to release it.

After pulling the wheel and wiggling and twisting the parking cable at the wheel, there was a CLUMP, like something popped loose up front.

Then I remembered there was a heavy rain yesterday and we drove through it for quite a while, and I must assume that some residual water remained in the cable housing that froze as the temp lowered locking one rear brake cable.

:hmmm:

·
Registered
210 Posts
i dont think thats very likely.

that happend before to me when my struts were blown and the back would bottom out in a hard turn, and i notice the lower the car is the more pull there is on the brakes, so they locked, playing with the ebrake released it, and also the broken strut.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sniff15
[body]
i dont think thats very likely.

that happend before to me when my struts were blown and the back would bottom out in a hard turn, and i notice the lower the car is the more pull there is on the brakes, so they locked, playing with the ebrake released it, and also the broken strut.
[/body]
Nope, the struts are fine.
The friggen thing was frozen again this morning.
I'm Idling it right now to see if the under body exhaust heat will loosen it up some.

The wife is her usual impatient self wanting to take it straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I pulled the cable and it was stuck solid.
I thought it was a frayed cable as it would not move either way no matter how much I flexed it, so I brought it into the house, set it down and had lunch.
After about an hour or so, it now moves easily!

Cold = stuck!
Warm = movable!

I'm placing a towel under it and hanging it up to see if I can get any water out of it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
thats interesting cause i dont think it gets any colder than canada, unless you go to russia/N-P or S-P and i cant say i have ever had that problem, well i guess i'll really find out this winter looks like it's going to be a good one; just had our first real snowfall of the year that didn't melt in two secounds and it's E$%$%$* COLD!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
last winter we had a few cars come in like that- where the rubber covering over the end of the parking brake cable (nearest the caliper) was damaged/worn from old age and water got in there and siezed them up pretty good. had to replace the lines and all the other parts that were damaged as a result.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by rbuecker
[body]
last winter we had a few cars come in like that- where the rubber covering over the end of the parking brake cable (nearest the caliper) was damaged/worn from old age and water got in there and siezed them up pretty good. had to replace the lines and all the other parts that were damaged as a result.
[/body]
Yep, that was it!
That cheap little boot was cracked and I cot quite a bit of dirty water out of it!
I guess we should add to the maintenance list is lube the cable at the caliper end!
I cleaned it real good and put a coating of silicone over it and will lube it from the other end before installing it.
I was just going to replace it with 100% silicone but I thought the boot seal on the cable was fine and tight, and other than the length wise crack in the middle of it, it would still work fine.

I'll be checking the other boot and lubing it's cable when I install the other one tomorrow.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other boot was cracked, not as much as the other, but it was on it's way!

Both are lubed with antisieze and slathered with silicone on the out side!

All those with rear disc brake GT's should check them regularly just like tyhe CV boots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I heard of someone on another forum (in Canada, by the way) with the same problem. I've worked as an engineer on cables. Once water gets in under the conduit, it's only a matter of time until the whole thing seizes up permanently, even with stainless steel wire rope. You may get the cable to work temporarily, but your best bet is to just replace it about every 3 winters if you're in an area with cold winters and lots of salt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The silicone seemed to work only on one side!

I'm getting replacement cables as soon as it's warm enough to swap them out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts