Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got an '08 1.6L manual accent that is just about time to do the first oil change and was wondering if I should go fully synthetic or stick w/ conventional oil? which ever way, what brand oil/filter should I use? currently no mods have been made...yet :)

O yeah, was also wondering if I should bother w/ getting the autolite/champion (whichever it is that autozone has) platinum or dbl platinum spark plugs. Considering the owners manual says to replace the plugs every 15k miles, wondering if it's worth the few extra bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think you should only use what hyundai says same for the sparks.

i did not and i have to make new motor now after only 80.000 km

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've got an '08 1.6L manual accent that is just about time to do the first oil change and was wondering if I should go fully synthetic or stick w/ conventional oil? which ever way, what brand oil/filter should I use? currently no mods have been made...yet :)

O yeah, was also wondering if I should bother w/ getting the autolite/champion (whichever it is that autozone has) platinum or dbl platinum spark plugs. Considering the owners manual says to replace the plugs every 15k miles, wondering if it's worth the few extra bucks.
I only use full synthetic in my cars. Also, the best filter for your car is the OEM Hyundai filter. They are inexpensive and very good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
just stay with conventional. Itll do the job. And OEM filter FTW!!! By the way, you got the 4 door right? Cus everyone knows they are way better looking then the hatch :p hehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
just stay with conventional. Itll do the job. And OEM filter FTW!!! By the way, you got the 4 door right? Cus everyone knows they are way better looking then the hatch :p hehe
for sure:D

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I like the WIX filter because it has some added capacity and equal or better quality vs. the OEM Hyundai filter. If saving money was my goal I would buy the Hyundai filters though.

For oil I use Royal Purple Synthetic personally and I have no complaints.

For plugs the standard NGK $1.99 plugs work great in the Accent.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I like the WIX filter because it has some added capacity and equal or better quality vs. the OEM Hyundai filter. If saving money was my goal I would buy the Hyundai filters though.

For oil I use Royal Purple Synthetic personally and I have no complaints.

For plugs the standard NGK $1.99 plugs work great in the Accent.
Actually, the OEM filter is better. There is a TSB about the aftermarket filters causing upper end noises. Reason: the aftermarket filters are more restrictive than OEM's and many do not have the check valve. Wix does have it, but it is more restrictive than OEM.

Since the CVVT system is operated by the oil pressure, having that operating properly means the oil pressure has to be just right. This means the OEM filters have to be used.

·
Registered
502 Posts
ok topic resolved OEM oil filter is best, and all people in search of power use synthetic.

all this time I have been using the napa gold filter I didnt know they are bad.
we have to get the OEM ones from the Dealer or what?

I guess If I go turbo the better oil filter is a must right?
fintle said something about using a thinker oil when turboed too will this negatively affect the OEM oil filter?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
ok topic resolved OEM oil filter is best, and all people in search of power use synthetic.

all this time I have been using the napa gold filter I didnt know they are bad.
we have to get the OEM ones from the Dealer or what?

I guess If I go turbo the better oil filter is a must right?
fintle said something about using a thinker oil when turboed too will this negatively affect the OEM oil filter?
The Napa Gold is the same as the Wix filters. Wix lowers the oil pressure by 1 psi more than the OEM filter. I did a test on the OEM, Fram and Wix filters about 3 years ago. Fram drops the psi by 5 and OEM only drops it by 1. Wix drops the psi by 2.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually, I had the champion or NGK or something like that spark plugs.
And I needed new plugs cause it was burning fuel like crazy and i came across some free Bosch Doulble platinum, and i went to walmart to see if they'd fit through their manual, and lol, they were $8 for two. and i was like wtf thank god they're free.
Butt... I'm pretty darn happy with them. The car pulls like crazy now lol. Great for yellow lights!!!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
the only major difference between synthetic and conventional is that with synthetic you change it at 6000 miles rather then 3000 miles with the cheap stuff

·
Registered
499 Posts
Conventional oil gets really thick in cold weather and really thin when heated by the engine. Synthetics tend to have a more constant viscosity which is very desirable when you want to reduce engine wear. In really cold weather they protect better since the engine receives oil flow sooner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts