Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Elantra with about 18k on it and sometimes while on highway doin about 80mph and I want to pass someone the trans will downshift to 3rd but it feels like it drops into neutral then it will catch and go in. If I beat the everlovin piss out of it the problem goes away it's just the few times when i first get on the highway. My thoughts are a sticking Valve in the valve body or the ecu needs a reflash.
Oh also when i drive around town I put the trans selector in 3 then if I know I'm going onto the highway i will put it in Drive. Could it also be because I don't use 4th that often and the 4th gear clutch packs oxidise a little bit. Let me know what you guys think. :bandit:

[Edited by greatwhiteshark on Nov 30, 2005 3:17 PM]

[Edited by greatwhiteshark on Nov 30, 2005 3:17 PM]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The fluid level is VERY CRITICAL on these transmissions. Too much or too little creates a shift shudder and shift flare at the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Make sure the trans is hot (drive it for about 45 minutes) with the heater off and check the level. If it is either under or over the top hot line, you need to get it at that point. Anything else will create the shifting problem you experience now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[body]The fluid level is VERY CRITICAL on these transmissions.[/body]
i'd say he's right,... i had the same problem in my '99 Elantra. i thought the shudder was a transmission problem due to cold temps because it would seem to lessen as i drove. i threw in a quart of ATF and the shudder is almost completely gone. :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Originally posted by elantradan
[body]
[body]The fluid level is VERY CRITICAL on these transmissions.[/body]
i'd say he's right,... i had the same problem in my '99 Elantra. i thought the shudder was a transmission problem due to cold temps because it would seem to lessen as i drove. i threw in a quart of ATF and the shudder is almost completely gone. :hmmm:
[/body]
An engineer at Hyundai Motor Corp told me 95% of the shifting issues with these transmissions is related to the incorrect fluid level. It has to be EXACT to get it right.

Also, the incorrect fluid also can cause a lot of problems as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check the fluid approaching 20k and it seems to have gotten better I want the f^cker to blow up before i bring it in to the dealer so i get a whole new trans. He He Oh the last time i checked the fluid it was nice and red but that was like when it had 10 k.:bandit:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fluid in my trans is right where it's supposed to be and is a bright red clear color no signs of material in the fluid and the problem is slowly going away. May be the trans had to break in now approaching 20k.:smoking:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pulse generator? Your kidding right? I was thinking bad solinoid or a sticky valve approaching 30k now and gonna change the fluid soon we'll see what happens.:smoking:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts