Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I don't post on this forum 4 a long time!
I'm from Portugal and I'm one of the founders of HCP (Hyundai Clube Portugal)
if you may pass by our forum to post your rides and experiences too, we have an english talking section!

I was thinking of doing a swap of a beta ll to my Scoupe but that would be very expensive regarding the taxes that we pay for a 2.0L in my country, so I'm more interested now in rebuilding that old alpha 1.5 Sohc!

I was thinking if I can fit a 1.5 Dohc head on that block?
That would improve the engine right!
and after that I want to go turbo with a pross like turbo kit!
my goal is about 300hp and I will be doing weight reduction too!
I really want to show to everyone that hyundai isn't to be underestimated!
so 5secs or less is enough to win respect!:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ummm.....

I don't know a LOT about the Hyundai's, but I do know a lot about cars. Most blocks that are built for a SOHC head won't be able to handle a DOHC Head. Oil and Antifreeze ports have to be drills and honed to fit while the cylinders won't always have proper flow. You may end up spending more in fabrication of your current 1.5 than just buying the BETA.

I've build a Frankenstein motor (HONDA 2.3L DOHC Non-VTEC block with a 2.2L DOHC VTEC head)... Machine work alone ran over $800, and that set up the block. Then the head had to be worked on as well. There are different feed lines and small reservoirs that most people don't notice under normal maintenance.

I'll ask my brother tonight (Certified Hyundai Technician) and let you know tomorrow.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your post!:)

I understand the but the dohc head i'm talking about here is from the dohc version of the same engine, I think, the alpha1 1.5 Sohc from Scoupe and the alpha1 1.5 dohc from accent, both engines even have the same code name G4EK!

I'm realy looking foward for your brother's info!:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
That`s a problem. Here in Russia we all got 1.5 DOHC (G4EC) except imported cars. I've got no idea... cylinder blocks from SOHC and DOHC are different (different part numbers) guess you'll have the problems as dbramagedprod already said. Maybe junkyard?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if I put my hands on a reconditioned 1.5 dohc alpha, I probably will swap it!
the only problem is that here at portugal we don't have those engines!:(
maybe at spain I don't know!

is some one here from spain? can you tell me if you have this engine at your country?

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK.... this is what I was able to find out. According to Hyundai Technicians of North America (I've never heard of it either) the 1.5 SOHC block is not directly compatible with any manufactured DOHC head from Hyundai. However, I did find out if you take a BETA1 Block, with a little modification you can do 1 of 2 things:

A)Install a Honda Vtec head from a B18 (1.8L DOHC VEC) and end up with ABOUT 200 hp at 7600 RPM

B)Install a Hyundai 1.8L DOHC (elantra) head and end up with ABOUT 155 hp at the wheels!

I'm going to be looking into the VTEC head now with a turbo set up... I'm sure there will be A LOT more work involved, but I'm a Honda guy originally........ This should be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but Gardete you can swap in the Scoupe Turbo pistons and rods and have a 1.5 built for boost. That would be better than swapping in another engine thats NOT ment for boost. Theres a guy who was on her who had a 255 whp Scoupe Turbo and he said he was barely able to get any traction at all...and he never did any wieght reduction or anything. Your car would toast just about anything with that power alone so I say try that first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was under the impression that the Dohc and sohc are the exact same block.
if you compare compression ratios between engines you'll find theyre exactly the same. If you do swap the head you can use exaust manifolds from the 1.6 dohc.
but don't go by me I only own one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was under the impression that the Dohc and sohc are the exact same block.
if you compare compression ratios between engines you'll find theyre exactly the same. If you do swap the head you can use exaust manifolds from the 1.6 dohc.
but don't go by me I only own one.
compression ratios does not mean the blocks are the exact same. A V8 can have the same compression ratio as a 4 banger, I doubt the blocks are the same. Don't go by me either, I just go by Certified Hyundai Techs that have been working on them for a few decades...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this but Gardete you can swap in the Scoupe Turbo pistons and rods and have a 1.5 built for boost. That would be better than swapping in another engine thats NOT ment for boost. Theres a guy who was on her who had a 255 whp Scoupe Turbo and he said he was barely able to get any traction at all...and he never did any wieght reduction or anything. Your car would toast just about anything with that power alone so I say try that first.
I guess you're right! I'll just stick with this one! I already have the turbo pistons, rods and cpu, i'm just waiting for the turbo now!
;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Gardete, post: 771512, membro: 17739"]
Credo tu abbia ragione! Continuerò con questo! Ho già i pistoni turbo, le aste e la CPU, sto solo aspettando il turbo ora!
;)
[/ CITAZIONE]
Ciao, sono molto felice di sapere che c'è un altro ragazzo con una S-coupé, è molto raro, posso chiederti giusto 2 cose?
Vorrei sapere che pezzi hai o utilizzi nel tuo motore perché essendo molto raro non riesco a trovarne. Grazie mille🙏

1 - 14 of 14 Posts