Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Gas Smell

31K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruanda Venter 
#1 ·
I have been driving my car for about 6 months now and on random occasions I get a gas smell when I fill the tank all the way. I have put the car on a lift at work and give it the old lookseedoodle. I looked at the tank, lines, and the injectors and I saw no leaks. The smell never last that long though. Usually once I get the guage needle to go down a bit it goes away. Anyone have a bit of knowledge of that?:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Meredith said:
He means under the rear bench where the fuel pump is located.

Have you also checked the charcaol canister lines. How does the car run
So can I lift the rear bench without damaging it? The car runs ok. The Idle gets rough when I turn on electrical things. I flushed and Seafoam'd the motor which made it lighten up on all that stuff. =)

#8 ·
I got the same exact problem on my 00 Elantra and cant figure it out! I got a fuel smell at certain times and other times I dont. I checked my lines on the lift, replaced fuel filter, checked canister, put new fuel cap, checked injectors and im still tryingto find out whats wrong. I plan to check it over again this sat and see whats up. If you find whats wrong with yours make sure to give me a holla on here and whatnot.

#9 ·
Problem fixed!

Went into my old job today and put the car on the lift and around the back where the evap canister is you have a hose running into it well after clamping it down, we put the car on a smoke machine which basically pumps smoke nitrogen into the gas and shows any leaks. After pumping the smoke we could see gas flowing out the top of the fuel filter! Replaced the top fuel filter inlet o-ring and now no more gas leaking under pressure.

#10 ·
elantrax said:
Problem fixed!

Went into my old job today and put the car on the lift and around the back where the evap canister is you have a hose running into it well after clamping it down, we put the car on a smoke machine which basically pumps smoke nitrogen into the gas and shows any leaks. After pumping the smoke we could see gas flowing out the top of the fuel filter! Replaced the top fuel filter inlet o-ring and now no more gas leaking under pressure.
Thanks dude. Once my car is back on the road I will do that. =)

#13 ·
good day my husband and i drive a ]Hyundai Accent 1.6 cvvt... since we bought the car we experience a gas smell coming from the air-con vents, since then we've replaced the Sensors the Coils and the fuel pump but still no luck .... the car has no power what so ever and the gas smell is terrible .... we even had the car with the dealers they plugged their computers in and results are clean .... the computer doesn't show any problem on the engine or anywhere else ... what can we do .... please help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.