Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 hyundai Accent 1.5l that I use as my DD better yet its my work beater. I am tired of the lack of power this car has. not that I expect it to be real quick just enjoyable.
My plans:
used T-25, safc2, 310cc inj from my Spec V, Ebay IC and IC piping, ebay BOV, fuel pump.
I am not new too turbocharging non turbo cars I have a 2004 specV thats around 300whp at 6.5psi. My questions regarding this car are:

i want it simple, I would like too get a t-25 with a internal wastegate.
what car has one that will work I heard something about a volvo T/C?

Do I have to use coolant line on those turbos or can I get away with just oil lines?

I have 310cc inj from my sentra that fit the clip, seem to be the right size, and are high Imp. I dont forsee and problems, do u?

Are there any neg to boosting this car, like, losing a/c or anything like that. I searche and have not found anything but just wanted to double check
thanks for you time

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well,

If I'm not mistaken, most OEM turbos do have coolant lines, so I'd assume that there would be one connected to the T25 from the Volvo. The VW/Audis run the same T25 also, so you could always look into that.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Ebay BOV and remember to buy a recirculating BOV. I know you're not a F/I noob, but figured I'd throw it out there. You can buy decent flanged BOV's from different F/I forums. Just gotta search them out. The SS Autochrome IC and piping kit is raelly nice for the money. A lot of DSMers go that route, and it's definitely the best bang for the buck.

G'luck on your build!

Howie~

P.S. If you do some research and have a bit of luck, some Volvos and VW/Audis DO have T3 .50 trim turbos that you can buy for around 100-150 used. These have a whole lotta punch, and are really fun to play with. Kinda a gamble thoough, because they've been played with *^^*

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mention recirculating the bov. We (the specv community) had this problem when first doing the F/I setup. we found that leaving the maf in the factory location (about 12" from the TB) and using a CAI for the top part of the piping and put the BOV some where further down the piping, like say near the battery there is no need to rec the bov. Also it allows for a better and easier tune because the maf will be read the air after its been compressed and cooled by the I/C. thats how I have mine on my sentra, is that something worth investagating with this motor.

on the coolant line question i was just wondering if they could be plugged and not used. my t3/t4 is only oil cooled so i was wondeing if the same idea would apply here.

Thanks for the info on other factory t25's I will start looking

·
Registered
687 Posts
The real question is, why vent to the atmosphere?

The MAF still measures in the air that has already passed through the intake, so why vent out when you can just recirculate? I had a BOV that vented and it sounded great, but the difference is tottally noticable. I found it was easier to tune if it was recirculated, but I guess that's just my own opinion.

My DSM had a TD05 T-25 Turbo stock and it did have coolant lines attached. I swapped over to a TD04 16G Evo III turbo, and it also had coolant lines, so I'm just going to assume that most OEM turbos DO have coolant lines. I wouldn't block them mainly because they have a function, and engineered to have the coolant. I haven't heard of people plugging them before, but if you're willing to donate the turbo and find out, I'd love to know hwo it'd turn out.

Howie~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it really matters where the maf is, if its before the compressor then its reaing air thats cooler and less dense they after it gets compressed and heated up abd the slightly cooled again. it just seems to me that have the maf read the exact type of air going to the motor would be a better tune. since in reality all we do if fool the maf anyways while we tune i just would want the most accurate readings. you can still run rec bov with the maf by the tb but all it would do at that point is keep it quiet.other than the fact that a amosphere bov is cleaner looking it also has less work involved. the sound is minimal to me I like the sleepe look so less sound is better for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real question is, why vent to the atmosphere?

The MAF still measures in the air that has already passed through the intake, so why vent out when you can just recirculate? I had a BOV that vented and it sounded great, but the difference is tottally noticable. I found it was easier to tune if it was recirculated, but I guess that's just my own opinion.

Howie~

where is your maf do you have: filter----maf---compresor---i/c---bov---tb
If you have that and the vent to atmosphere you will have problems. I have this: filter---compressor---i/c---bov---maf---tb. since the bov is before the maf in the flow when it vents to atmosphere the maf never reads the vented air and therefore dosent have issues when the air dosent get into the motor. The other way around and the maf reads the large amount of air then its gets vented and the motor sees less air then the maf read and the tune get outta wack usally floods and sutters sometimes stalls

Interesting conversation none the less

·
Registered
687 Posts
I figured it was the blow-thru setup, but whenever I've seen those, they were a big hastle to tune. Not very many people do it that way with DSMs, and I've personally never done it, but I heard it has it's perks.

Which way are you going to set yours up?

Howie~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts