Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on one of these forums, someone mentioned using a hair dryer to take the coloring off the back of the CEL, oile change, door open..ect symbols...ya know what I mean...the bottom idicators...anyway I read that you can remove them and use leds to change the lighting. anyone know?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah yeah..been there done that , but I found my own answer... Shark Racing states: "...If your stock gauges have colors in the letters, you can erase the color coating using nail polish or acetone."

Shark Racing

·
Registered
27 Posts
so does that mean that the actual color is a clear, white, led? and that there is some sort of coloring making it a little yucky?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i think that will work on the back of the thermostat lighting and the indicator lights, but not on the actual gauges.

the actual gauges are on on a thick piece of plastic, so you technically could use a solvent to take the backing of those off, but you'd have to somehow peel them off the plastic, use the solvent, and reapply them (they fall off once the adhesive is removed)

but this method is going to work on the lights you want it to. i have blue turn signal lights

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so does that mean that the actual color is a clear, white, led? and that there is some sort of coloring making it a little yucky?
yup. some lights have little green covers making them vomit green the other like the bottom row of LEDS like the CEL and fuel low lights. NOT the guages...i dont care about those just switch out the LEDs to adjust the color.

Besides i like the GT guages..they are nice...

·
Registered
124 Posts
i can tell you for a face, on stock guages on an lc2 (mine's a 2004 GS) you can scrape with a knofe, or use acetone if ya want, down thu the shaded areas behind the number and the lins on the whiole cluster, final layer is a clear/whiteish color, i wouldn't recomend using acetone on the parts where your red areas are like on your tach and the little red area by the "H" on your temp guage, i just scraped it lightly there leaving the red on the surface. after that, i just popped some hyper white LEDs in place of the 4 main cluster lights, tada... nice white letter guages... soon to be blue tho.
as far as all the indicator lights like seatbelt/cel/batt..ect. they are tiny tiny little LEDs soldered right on the board in the cluster can be changed, but requires a fair bit of work, but the abs/airbag and I believe cel are just smal bulbs in trist in sockets, #37 bulbs i think, much smaller than 194 bulbs.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well there we go!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also I was able to remove that orange coloring on the back of the needles as well...using nail polish of course. Just not sure what to use to paint a different color.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
maybe a craft store has some type of sticky cellophane material that you could stick and trim up?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
y all means your welcome to try it. i would never go inside some craft store..lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i'll man up and see if i can find anything, there might be something at the art store by my school too haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
well as Fintile discovered, i have some of the blue film already, if you need some, i have a post for it in the forsale fourm, shipping it off to hime tomorrow. have a few of the leds to change it too, but Fintile is gonna get almost all that i have for leds. I'll have to order more cause i'm gonna be a few sort for one of my own projects...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts