Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i keep getting told to change from my standard alpha gearbox to a beta or tiburon gearbox instead of trying to fix my current setup. Last gearbox lasted 1500kms!

1) How much effort is it going to be?
2) What needs to be modified?
3) By the time i sod about with a beta gearbox is it worth putting an evo gearbox in (will it bolt on) and the AWD Conversion? what would be involved then?

Cheers Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
awd will not work. well i shouldnt say that. it will just cost you more money and time then your car is worth. why not just keep the 1.6 and put a stronger clutch? and i believe if you put in the 2.0 trans, you will have to shorten the.... um, i am drawing a blank here. ****

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i believe the driveshafts need to be shortened... will the box bolt straight on? what about the clutch and flywheel?

Cheers Ryan

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
tranny will bolt on from what I've heard. I've only heard of one person actually doing it but many people have bolted the Alpha trannies to the Beta block so it is logical that with minor modifications it should be able to work.

The Beta uses a different type of clutch than the Alpha. You may just need to use a 1.6l clutch and flywheel. My *guess* is that it will require that you use the 2.0l flywheel and clutch.

·
Registered
502 Posts
auto tranny is interchangeable from 1.6 to 2.0 also and what about the axel.
i hear alpha axels only handle about 200hp.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Im only shooting for 200whp and Im not a launcher either so I wont have to worry about busting up my tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
tuning gearbox

Hello!
Can anybody advise me what to do with gearbox on 1.6 Getz? I change cams, exhaust, intake. There is something about 150hp in my car now. How to modify gearbox to fit my engine? I think I need long first gear and others short. I cann't find how to do that.
Please help me!

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
tranny will bolt on from what I've heard. I've only heard of one person actually doing it but many people have bolted the Alpha trannies to the Beta block so it is logical that with minor modifications it should be able to work.

The Beta uses a different type of clutch than the Alpha. You may just need to use a 1.6l clutch and flywheel. My *guess* is that it will require that you use the 2.0l flywheel and clutch.
when i had madhatter's beta turbo accent in my house for repairs so ravinaziankid could take it back to new york, i saw the beta tranny in the car, from looking at it, it used the stock mounting points, front rear and pass side,

it was never finished, but i ordered the hydraulic lines for the slave cylinder and clutch cylinder for the beta and they bolted right onto the stock accent clutch cylinder, i had to bent the lines a tad bit but it worked, fittings and everything

if my 2nd alpha tranny currently in my car blows, i'm getting a beta tranny
cause it will need it when i go turbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts