Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 9 months ago my '68 Bel Air took a **** (the last of many) and I sold it. I wound up with something I never would've expected: a 97 Accent GL. I'd have never expected to fall in love with this thing, but I did. I've decided I want to invest some time into this thing and money when I get it, but I'm lost. I've got no idea where to start being so new to tuners. How do I get started turning this thing into a wee-beastie?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i assume u have a 1.5L sohc- well whatever motor u got.... First if its got less than 85,000 miles switch to full synthetic and use a k and n oil filter....Second order a k&n short ram intake.... and third throw on a exhaust and thats pretty much ummm 400 bucks will get u but it will be deff worth it and for a picture of the intake look at my pic although mines red k and n's is purple

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Other than basic stuff listed above, what you do depends on what you want to do with the car. So, what do you want to do with the car?

·
Registered
183 Posts
yea, Any H/P goals? or any goals in looks? Do you want to track it?

When you're tuning this car think ahead. The stock 1.5L doesn't take very well to just an intake and exhaust so don't waste your money on that engine.

I suggest (if looking for H/P gains) a BETA 2.0L engine from an elentra or tibby and putting it into this car. Then look into turbo'ing that engine once in the accent. Good luck. There are plenty of posts on BETA swaps and how to's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I guess that would be the best place to start: a goal. I'm thinking the strip (I've got one near me thankfully) would be a lot of fun in this thing, but I'm not past doing dumb, illegal things in it. The intake and exhaust sound like a really good place to start and not exactly complicated, so thanks. My tran. probably needs some work though. Its the standard 5spd, but it seems like it really needs a 6. Even for just the highway (sounds like its about to explode 70mph). If its even feasable, how hard is it 2 drop a 6spd in this thing?

The exterior is about my last concern. It's ugly as sin right now (thanks to a f*n chrysler pacifica), and thats fine by me. All the more unsuspecting.

Oh and its bout 142k miles.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
How crazy of a drag car do you want to build? ;)

One thing you might want to do is swap to LC (2000-2005) front brakes at least, if not all around. They have the much more common 4x100 bolt pattern, making wheel selection much much easier i.e. anything that fits a civic. Then I'd get a set of Lenso VPD drag wheels (13x7.5 front, stock out back is plenty light and skinny enough) and a set of your favorite drag radials or slicks once you're making enough power to warrant that step. Be prepared to start breaking stuff lol.

Next thing to know, the 1.5L SOHC in the accent was originally used in the Scoupe, including the turbo version (it basically had a different ecu and lower compression pistons). This means its a fairly stout little engine. This also means there's a factory turbo manifold available. It needs porting to support moderate HP numbers and can only support a garret T2 series turbo, but it should get you started.

In the newbie section, there's a post called "whatever happened to webtech?" stickied at the top, in it is a username and password for Hyundai's online service manuals for all cars sold in the US.

That should get you started!

·
Registered
147 Posts
whats with all the tibby swaps..... no one does it cuz its not practical who wants to take there good accent motor out for a motor that gets like 22 mpg i think he uses his accent like i do mine as a work and go around car.... so all i need to have to make it more interesting is a intake and exhaust and bam.... cool sounding car...may not be as fast as most other cars but it sure sounds better not ricy at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts