Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could this be a clogged injector or fuel filter maybe (its been awhile since i changed it)? I changed my plugs they showed a bit lean.... I wasnt detonating all along and now all the sudden I am? I got no problem building or holding boost but when load and boost build get up there boom detonation occurs alot.... I've checked all I can think of.....

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would certainly try a new fuel filter & also add injector cleaner to your next tank of fuel.
Also try upping the fuel`s octane if possible.......un-cured detonation will quickly wreck your engine!.

Good luck,
Nick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
Could this be a clogged injector or fuel filter maybe (its been awhile since i changed it)? I changed my plugs they showed a bit lean.... I wasnt detonating all along and now all the sudden I am? I got no problem building or holding boost but when load and boost build get up there boom detonation occurs alot.... I've checked all I can think of.....
[/body]
It could be either of your suggestions. Either way, if you are detonating at high load/high boost, the finger would first point to a fuel starvation problem, or perhaps even a cooling system problem. If your car is a '98 with a tired original fuel pump, I'd take that into consideration, but of course, change your fuel filter if you haven't in some time. Other things like dirty injectors, kinked lines or other restrictions could cause your symptoms.

On a bit of a stretch, but it can happen is that your cooling system is not quite up to snuff, and under full boost/load, is incapapble of evacuating excessive heat away from your combustion chamber area. The temps will rise and rise FAST, leading to possible detonation levels. A hot turbo engine is an unhappy turbo engine, and will destroy itself eventually, but I know we all know that.

There are so many other things...timing, proper spark, compression ratio, octane...etc...

So are you sure you're detonating, and not 'pre-igniting'?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting...

Which is the difference between this two terms??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by psicoaccent
[body]
Interesting...

Which is the difference between this two terms??
[/body]
Weellll, to put it simply, detonation occurs after your spark plug ignites the Air fule mixture like it's supposed to, but as the flame front is expanding, that same air fuel mixture ignites from a different source. This causes 2 flame fronts to collide. This will pretty much in effect try to force your piston down when it shouldn't be...trying to 'reverse' your engine. Not good.

PreIgnition would occur before the sparkplug gets a chance to fire. Usually a hotspot in the combustion chamber, be it on the piston, cylinder wall, or a valve. The hotspot would ignite the A/F mixture before the spark fires usually causing essentailly immediate piston melting...lol... There are different levels of PreIgnition, and they can destroy an engine over time. This is waaayyy worse than detonation, but both suck.

[Edited by BestRedRide on Dec 1, 2005 9:54 AM]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Omgbossis21, check out this link to reading plugs. One further down the page shows/describes detonation.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html

I use countless colour phots and descriptions at my work. I keep a laminated folder of all plug conditions from many diff sources.:) You probably are just experiencing detonation, but that's serious, and can lead to the end of your engine's world. At least you're catching it early.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out. the adjusting bolt/nut fell out of my bov :dead: Thats all fixed. Now I still have a problem under boost though... Its more occasional now ... Seems like a "miss" but its not. Its more like the engine tries to "shutdown" under boost for some reason. Im going to double check all my electrical connections and solder em.

·
Registered
842 Posts
whats your spark plug gap? any other vacuum/ic piping leaks?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My spark plug gap is .28 and their are no other leaks. It is definitely something electrical (where my boost controller is wired to the ecu im sure) as if I turn the boost controller off the problem goes away and I run more than the set wastegate pressure (which I like). Looks Like Im about to solder all the ecu connections....

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehe If I blow it I will just have to swap the built motor in :evil: You will be back in time for the next hyundai meet. It sucks you missed the last one, it was the best turnout ever! The next should be even bigger! I've got a few tricks up my sleeve Im getting for X-mas, so the next track one will hopefully have some mods done up on the car to get me down the track!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by BestRedRide
[body]
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
[/body]
It could be either of your suggestions. Either way, if you are detonating at high load/high boost, the finger would first point to a fuel starvation problem, or perhaps even a cooling system problem. If your car is a '98 with a tired original fuel pump, I'd take that into consideration, but of course, change your fuel filter if you haven't in some time. Other things like dirty injectors, kinked lines or other restrictions could cause your symptoms.

On a bit of a stretch, but it can happen is that your cooling system is not quite up to snuff, and under full boost/load, is incapapble of evacuating excessive heat away from your combustion chamber area. The temps will rise and rise FAST, leading to possible detonation levels. A hot turbo engine is an unhappy turbo engine, and will destroy itself eventually, but I know we all know that.

There are so many other things...timing, proper spark, compression ratio, octane...etc...

So are you sure you're detonating, and not 'pre-igniting'?
[/body]
That's a brilliant reply.
Are you a do it yourself Mechanic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts