Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There!

New to the whole Hyundai thing. I grew up with all GM or Jeep products and the company I work for just bought a Sante Fe for my replacement company car. I test drove a Sante Fe a few weeks ago and a friend has a Elantra GT with a Manual trans. Fun Car.

I am a car guy and I work in the High Performance Auto industry. I own several classics and ride motorcycles and scooters too. The junk I own now is:

1969 Pontiac Firebird with a built 406" Pontiac w/Aluminum heads & 4 Speed
1970 Chevy C10 Pickup with 307" SBC and Automatic
1974 Chevy Monte Carlo 350" Garrett Turbocharged Blow thru-Carburetor
1975 Chevy Monte Carlo 355" Forged piston motor, New project
1997 Suzuki TL1000 Sport bike 996cc
2002 Yamaha Zuma Scooter 50cc
2008 Yamaha Zuma Scooter 50cc

I am also considering maybe the future purchase of a 2009 Accent Hatchback with the SE? package in White with the 5 spoke wheels.

But alas I need to sell a few toys before getting something else.

I was a machinist for over 10 years before I got into the High Performance Aftermarket. I like to build things and fabricate. One of the reasons I joined here was to see how much possibility there is to Turbocharging a new 09' Accent if I bought one. Because the other two cars I am contemplating are the VW GTI and a used Audi TT 225 AWD. I know the Accent doesnt have a whole lot in common with the other two but I can maybe afford a brand new Hyundai versus a used VW/Audi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention the whole reason I am getting the Sante Fe is because I T-Boned a full size Chevy truck with my Company Pontiac Montana Mini-Van back in Mid-December. The Company I work for is replacing all our Company vehicles with Hyundai's. We have a fleet of Sante-Fe's and 4 door cars that are bigger than a Elantra but Azera? Maybe? I have not payed alot of attention to them honestly.
I am not a 4 door person.

(Also not a Mini-Van person So I am glad it got totalled out!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
if you want a peformance car i suggest you dont get a new accent se. they have very tiny engines and there is no support for an engine swap, well atleast it hasnt been done before yet. it has been done to all previous models all the way up to 2005 which is the last year the lc2 was built. the mc which is the body model from 2006 to current has a can ecu insted of obdii and no 9one has succefully swapped engines yet because of it. if you want performance try the elantra gt coupe or maybe the tiburon. now if you really want a performance i suggest the new 2010 genesis coupe i4 turbo that is rwd. that this puts out near 250 hp stock turbo to the rear wheels. its the first ever rwd hyundai and is a very popular korean drift car now because of it and the track version is very sport tuned with coilovers and brembo big brakes and 19" rims. its a very beautiful car. car drivers car of the year. and its surprisingly quiet for being so powerful. its quieter inside than a Bentley is bench tests.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I wasnt aware of that! Sounds like that Genesis is the Hot ticket! Does it look like the US 4 door version they have now? I do like the look of the Tiburon but I have never driven one. They also were a little pricier than I was willing to spend. But time can fix that with saving up.
I also didnt know they had a Elantra coupe....I only ever seen the 4 door.

The small motor can be fixed with a turbo...That is if it can be tuned. (Accent) But the new computers seem to screw that up too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts